Ideas

plbab

Mar 21, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Where do you get ideas for your trackplan? I have been searching the internet and books for a long time , and nothing. Is it better to freelance? I have the room,the modules built to maximise space and that is it. Thanks Payl

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Start with a short description or point form note on what you want to accomplish. Add your "givens and druthers" (as described by John Allen, I think). This is you list of everything from scale to minimum radius, room size, era, locale, industries, type of rolling stock you prefer, number of operators you want to be able to host, photography needs, whether you'd like a showcase for scratchbuilt models, or just like RTR, other activities in the room (workbench, etc), trains running in circles, or industrial switching, etc, etc, etc...

Once you get a handle on that, then you can start looking at the requirements for each industry/activity you have picked. That will in turn start to suggest a plan to you. Be prepared for you plan to change somewhat, and for some "givens and druthers" to switch categories ;)

I see one "druther" already - you'd rather build benchwork with modules...

Andrew

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Modular benchwork is the ticket, if you're expecting to have to move, at some future time. Modular does, however, add the restriction to the plan, that you have to keep the module boundries clear of things like turnouts. (not an absolute restriction, but you would have to carefully figure out where and how you'd operate a turnout that crosses the module boundary). Bridging a mod boundary could be as simple as using a bridge!
There are no "Have to" absolutes in planning, but there are some very strong recommendations, like using the largest possible radius, and minimum possible grades, and keeping everything "reachable".
Pete

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
MasonJar hit the nail on the head. You need to know you are going and want to accomplish before you decide on a specific track plan.

It has taken me three years to develope a plan that encompasses a modern era industrial complex along with a local yard that I can accept and be happy with.

The design part is probably the most fun because you will never be satisfied and will strive to improve upon what you have come up with. However, sooner or later you just have to build it and that is where I am at.

JD