ideas: Traxxas 4TEC over 85

Discussion in 'RC Drifting and Setup' started by chromecarz00, Jan 6, 2007.

1. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Guest

Got a Traxxas 4tec, here are some pics.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/maximumrcforum/100_0535.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/maximumrcforum/100_0539.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/maximumrcforum/100_0538.jpg

Has a brand new Novak XRS ESC, a Team Orion Method R Rebuildable 15T BB Adjustable Timing Mod Motor . The Battery is a GP 3300 Pack.

Im getting a sheet of carbon fiber so i can do the axles and other parts in cf. Custom making it. I also am thinking of getting the Novak 3.5 Brushless. But a friend (thanks jareb) told me that i should get something else, with an ESC that can handle high voltage, like that of double packs.

Any other suggestions? this is meant to go straight, fast, i have my own setup for track use.

Ideas ppl, plz!
    thanks
  2. jareb

jareb Guest

Hey chrome carz I was thinking you could always make a cheap drag style speed control that would handle all the voltage you can stuff under that body. My friends used to use a modified breaker switch (like the kind that you use for household electric) I think they used ones with like 30amp or higher. But they used a servo to make the breaker switch let the juice flow. the only problem is they had really sticky tires and you only got full on power or nothing, not even braking action. But with a setup like that you could use a cheap modified motor and a few cheap battery packs wired in series. You could also build a custom battery pack with like 12 or 14 cells. The car would be monster heavy but it would be able to hit 85 or better. You might have to use you carbon sheets to make a custom chassis to hold all those cells.
  3. jareb

jareb Guest

here are some pics of the old civic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. jareb

jareb Guest

hey chrome carz I just seen that Tekin has brushless speed control that can handle a 5s lipo pack, so over the 14volts that you would need, plus it doesnt have any motor limits for running brushless, so you could use that with a novak 3.5r and 5s lipo pack, should get ya over 85mph. youll have to get creative with the battery mounting though, you can still use the regular style batteries as well but they weigh more than lipo packs,probably a 14 cell setup,I think it said they handle 16.8 volts. the speed controller is 250 dollars. just depends on how much money and time you want to spend.
  5. jareb

jareb Guest

oh i almost forgot to tell ya, be careful when using carbonfiber or fiberglass around battery wires or the ends of the cells. carbon fiber is a somewhat good conducter of electricity. I found this out with a friends rs4 that had carbon parts, the sharp edges rubbed through a wire and fried his battery.
  6. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Guest

thanks for the tips man. ill def let u know when my next question comes up....
  7. Slowenuff

Slowenuff Guest

Hop ups?

I say you start your own parts buis for 4-tec since I have been trying my hardest to find chassis upgrades.
  8. jareb

jareb Guest

Chassis parts really arent too hard to make yourself. You can buy Carbon Fiber Clothe or pre hardened sheets from several companies on the web. With Sheets you just need to draft the dimensions of the parts you want and then cut to shape a sand the edges, They even have carbon/kevlar sheets now that are multicolored, that way you can make custom parts that nobody can get. Stuff like chassis and shock towers are really simple to make since they are mostly flat. But curved surfaces can be difficult to produce yourself, they usually require you make a mold or jig to hold the form you desire. But the fellas I knew back in phoenix had some tub chassis made nitro monster trucks that I witnessed them make in their kitchens. Not to hard, But the carbon fiber is very expensive and the resins you need are just as pricey.
  9. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Guest

u can get chassis upgrades for 85 from traxxas...everything lower upper and rear shock tower all cf...
    i might be able to start one in the future, now im just too busy...
    thanks for the idea tho :)
  10. jareb

jareb Guest

I just thought of something You might want to get the optional sway bar kit for your car, I seen on your pics that you dont have any installed. I added a set to my nitro and they made high speed passes a little bit easier to manage. Id use them on the front only at first, at least with my car the rear end keeps trying to swing around. Plus they make drifting with regular rubber tires easier too. Just ditch the front sway and use the rear on the setting closest to the pivot point.
  11. chromecarz00

chromecarz00 Guest

ok. thanks for the continued advice! i was actually thinking of getting those...