Idea: On-line Engine Data (Instruction Sheets)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Something I thought of a few months back, but didn't have the time to pursue it. How's this sound?

The Reasoning: A few months back I bought a used Climax in rough condition and needed parts and info on it. MDC was happy to mail out the instruction sheet, but it sure would have been nice to get the instruction on-line and have been able to order parts that day. As it turned out I had to wait a second time because the engine didn't match the instructions because it was so dated. Not MDCs fault, but it reinforced my desire for on-line docs, which to my knoweledge nobody has. Many of my engines are second hand and have no instructions.

The idea: How about us gaugers scan in some of our instructions and e-mail them to me, and I'll make a web site where they can be viewed or downloaded? There is no copyright on any of the instructions I've seen, and they give them away anyways, so I don't think that's an issue.

Does this sound like a worthwhile service?

Would you send me 1 or 2 scanned instruction sheets or even a xerox copy? I'll keep a running list, even if they are not up yet, and we can e-mail back and forth first to make sure we don't duplicate efforts.

Would you use the service if it was there?

What the heck, I'll make it a poll.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
That's a good point, Mikey, the value won't be right after it's up, it would be valuable months from now when you get a new e-bay special, lose your original data sheet, or something breaks on a loco you never had the sheet for. It always happens when you have to get the wee drams to the LPBs on the other side of the layout!:D :D :D

coachsig

Feb 15, 2002
Sebring, FL
I think it's a GREAT idea! I have numerous engines, some extra motors and many pieces of engines and I don't know SQUAT about them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially the gearing!!!!!

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Sounds like a good idea jon.
How many times have we gone to shows and bought something on the "Flea Market" table. No box. No instructions.
I have a lot of stuff I could send you. LMK when you are ready.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I am so paranoid about losing the instruction sheets and documentation for my locomotives, so I think this would be a definite help. I know I have already lost/misplaced the documentation to two locomotives. One I will need someday when I try to get it to run again. Also I have some older locomotives from the seventies I would like to get running again but the documentation and the manufacturer are long gone.

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
I agree with all of them jon. I think I might even have a couple to contribute. I also have a couple of engines with no instruction sheets and your idea might be a big help in the future.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Jon,
I think I have the instruction sheets for everything I've ever purchased. I don't know how much is usable, but would be willing to make copies and send them to you. I've tried scanning, but the files are usually too big, and with dialup,usually don't make it.
Personally, I'm one of those who will fix a problem without contacting the manufacturer first, but this service would probably be of great benefit to the majority here, so I'm for it.
Pete

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Good idea. A service no one really hopes they have to avail themselves of, but a lifesaver if you need to.

What format do you plan on providing these sheet? If you have the capability of taking a jpg and conveting it to a pdf, Just about anybody can view a pdf and it would be great for off-line viewing or printing. Just a thought....

Don

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
A really good idea, Jon!

I'm willing to participate, but a quick search in my basement showed that I don't have many data sheets of locomotives. :( What I have, I'll gladly share with you all.

A question: Do you want to set up a info bank only for locomotives?
It occurred to me, that I still have a lot of instruction sheets of building kits (like old Campbells, Timberline, Kibri, FSM and such), turnout & switch machines etc etc. I for myself could probably be of more help in this field.

Ron

Hi Jon,
This could be expanded into a modelling reference for all equipment, broken down into types and railroads. I don't really know what's involved as far as costs for the bandwith, but how far are you willing to go? It could be a really great project with all the contributors we have.
As you know, research on details of locomotive and rolling stock construction and distribution, bridge types, turnouts, related buildings, etc. can be very time-consuming. Just for one example, looking for those brake rod pics yielded very few results, the best info being an on-line U. S. Army Rolling Stock training course, of all things! I could envision the various types of brake equipment being demonstrated by a very few detailed photos or drawings in our on-line database.
It would be very satisfying to have a place to organize and post search results, and to have a place to look first before going to the library or starting another web search. I think managing it might be more than a one-man task.
Anyone else have suggestions or opinions? Is this already being done somewhere by/for modellers? :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Hi everyone, looks like we have more than enough interest to make this worthwhile. Tickled with all the responses! I also like the idea of expanding beyond just engine data, and covering other items.

I'll try to come up with a battle plan soon and answer the specific questions that have been posted. Been sick all weekend and on some GOOD meds, but the suggestions look good. Thanks for all your input and willingness to help.