Idea... Need help...

Xaniel

Hi there

Well, As you already know, I have one 4' by 2' layout... BUT... This layout is really small but I want to keep it.

So my idea is to build one bigger layout like 2.5' by 6' or 7'.

Have some problems that I want to discuss with you fine people:

1st -> Space is problem, so I want to build this layout by modules (2 would be perfect, and I could build some kind of structure to make them look like a box - i'll try to make some drawing of this). How modules are made and connected? Power, tracks, bla bla bla....

2nd -> Track Plan.... Can't make one, but I would like to have double track, one roundhouse, and some industrail spurs. It can be multilevel, but I need some help here.

I would love that someone here draw some plans, so that I could have some inspirations...

I'm kinda lost here, so please... HELP!!!!!

Thanks!

Pooh Bah
Modules

Luis:
Check if there is an N-trak website somewhere; they have lots of details.
Modules are built like your railroad; you just have to have a board of some sort across the joining end. Ends can be connected dozens of ways: we used to use bolts through matching holes (6mm or 1/4 inch). N'trak uses C-clamps (or G cramps to the British). Some people screw hinges to the side and take the pin out to separate them.
Wiring is usually carried through using some sort of electronic plugs. You might bring all the wires on each module come to a socket and then have two plugs from your controls. (or more than 2, depending on how complicated your wiring is.)
Model Railroad Planning 2003 has a number of suggestions for top of bookshelf layouts with extensions.

Have a peek at this site Luis. It has quite a number of layout plans for the size you have in mind. If I'm not mistaken all are drawn using Atlas trackwork.
If any particular layout doesn't suit you then you can at least get an idea of what is possible in the space you have.

Errol

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Luis,
Before you start building modules, see if there are any modular groups/clubs in your area. You could get all the information you need there.
You might also find a group you could join.
Pete

TrainClown

My Solution

I am cramped for space too. I am running HO and don't want to have to seporate the layout into modules. So I am making my layout rise to the ceiling on garage door cables. (it will be 4'x7')

I will use a hand cranked winch, like the ones on boat trailers, to power it up and down. This way it will move slow and steady and I weill never drop it. Also, I can unhook the layout and take it to a train show or meeting, or if I move. When I'm not working on the thing, it is out of the way and out of sight (sort of)

That is what I plan to do.

davidstrains

Originally posted by Xaniel
Hi there

2nd -> Track Plan.... Can't make one, but I would like to have double track, one roundhouse, and some industrail spurs. It can be multilevel, but I need some help here.

Luis,

If you are cramped for space I suggest you forget about the roundhouse and opt for a 1 or 2 stall engine facility. A roundhouse will consume most of the space that you are considering.

With a roundhouse out of the way you now have a lot af usable real estate. Look at those plans at the site that Errol suggested for the 78"x 30" door. Any of those could be made into 2 "modules" by cutting it in the middle and adding the connecting hardware suggested by the Ntrak standards.

Xaniel

ok folks, I've decided to build a two module door layout.

I'm going ot build a freelanced railroad, with my own railroad name (yes it means painting :) )

planned:
A double loop layout, with the possibility to run two trains at the same time, or having one runing and doing some operation inside.
Overhead wires (I want to have some passanger trains, specially based on European Trains. TGV! TGV! TGV! ICE! ICE! ICE!), a small town, two or three industries, a two track loco shed and a passenger train terminal.

But I've seen the link Errol posted, but those are kinda hard to brake in two parts... I think. any way there isnt one that satifies my...

Do you know any more sites that have layout plans with this size?

Thanks!!! :) I'm still a newbie compared to you guys, but I keep learning.

Xaniel

this was the plan I came up with... but I think it's kinda empty....

what do you think?

Attachments

• 78x30_04.gif
    78x30_04.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 281

billk

The inside and outside loops are totally separate - no crossovers at all. Is this what you want??

Russ Bellinis

Originally posted by billk
The inside and outside loops are totally separate - no crossovers at all. Is this what you want??

If you don't put in crossovers between the two loops, you won't be able to get a locomotive from the engine house to the outside main without 5 fingering it.

Xaniel

Oops, sorry.

Forgot to draw that. They will be connected, because it will have more operating interest...

Drew1125

Hi Luis!
I like your plan, but have some suggestions for changes...

1. I would add two cross-overs...both at the top of the plan, to provide a runaround for switching. A runaround track should be long enough to accomodate the longest train you'll be running, minus the engine(s)

2. Add a switchback spur off the one going to the "small industry"...this way you can have a spur going into the "town", & your RR can pick up another customer or two there.

4. Move the engine house down to the lower area of the plan, leaving the tracks for the original, & add some other type of industry there.

I think these changes would fill some of that "empty" space for you, & busy up those switching jobs...just because you have a small lay6out, doesn't mean you can't have lots of operation!

Good luck, Luis!
Have some fun!

Xaniel

Charlie, I didn't understand. Sorry... My english some times doesn't let me understand some things.

So, What do you mean by runaround track?

Can you draw those changes for me? So that I could see what are you talking about? :) :) :) :D

Thanks.

Drew1125

Sorry, Luis...
I wish I could draw what I'm talking about, but I've gotten a new computer, & my old scanner software is not compatable with the new system...:mad:

A runaround track is simply a passing siding siding, that allows the engine to disconnect from one end of the train & "runaround", to hook-up to the other end.
Then, say, for instance, the train could stop on the main line, the engine could runaround to the back of the train, take one of the cars off the rear of the train, & push it into an industry spur where it needs to go...then the engine backs back up to the main line, reconnects to the train, & continues on.

Xaniel

can you step into he live chat for a minute or two? i'm there, so if can, please come by. I would like clear some things. Thanks.

Xaniel

Well i think this getting greater! with the help of mr charlie, here's what i came up with!

Notice that the brighter green areas are scenery areas still to decide! (trees, lakes...)

Attachments

• 78x30_04.gif
    78x30_04.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 104

Drew1125

Luis,
That looks exactly like what I was thinking!
Also, like I was telling you...these oval plans provide a lot of opportunity for scenic features...using scenery as view-blocks to break the layout up visualy, so it appears to be much more than just a loop of track.
This looks very cool :cool: :cool: can't wait to see you get started on it!:)

davidstrains

Looking Good, Luis. There is even room for an additional spur in the lower right corner if you wanted a bit more mainline switching. Looking forward to your progress photos.:) :)