Idea for making Ponds

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
A suggestion was made in my guestbook about making ponds. Using a mirror and coating it with either caulking or acrylic medium. The clear caulking didn't work but the acrylic gloss medium shows promise.

mirror_pond.JPG

The initial mockup with gloss medium on a small mirror. The white spots are uncured medium.

Thank you Fran
Harold

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
This is only a crude mockup to see if the idea is feasible. It will be further developed. It is only a mirror with the gloss medium on it and gravel sprinkled around to represent the bank. I am going to try other reflective materials.

Harold

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
Here is metalized mylar from a Sweet and Low bag with one coat of gloss medium:

mylar_pond.JPG

I let too many ripples form when gluing the mylar down. The gloss medium develops milky spots if applied too thick.

Harold

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
Here is the metallic mylar pond with a smoother piece of Mylar. There is a slight ripple in the mylar in the left corner. I stippled a light coat of gloss medium on the mylar.

smooth_mylar_pond.JPG

Harold

ScottyB

Dec 12, 2004
Mount Pleasant, WI
There is a good article on gloss medium in this month's (August's) Railroad Model Craftsman for anyone who is interested.

Involves a very small application of gloss medium and dabbing with a tissue to get the ripple effect. Repeat if required.

Good article and probably one I will use when I get to that point in my layout.

Scott