ID me without a pic

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Willja67, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Just saw this interesting movie last night about a guy who tried to build a revolutionary car called the Tucker (the guys name was John Tucker) and got stomped on.

In any case Howard Hughes took an interest in the project and sent a plane to pick the guy up. It was a all metal, twin piston engine, low wing, tail dragger and I think the engines were R-4360's. I don't have a clue what it is but I would really like to know. Anyone have any ideas?
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Nope but I DO know that the car involved that WAS made for Hughes had it's own air filtration/Air Conditioning System and carried enough aux. electrical power in the trunk to start Hughes' aircraft. It was recently auctioned for an OUTRAGOUS sum in the States.
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

It's probably a Lockheed 14 which Hughes set the around the World record on July 14, 1938 that took 3 days, 19 hours and seventeen minutes...,

4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Nope not it Gil but thanks. Let's see if some additional description might help.

The engine nacelles sit on top of the wings (and have the very large carb intake that looks like those on the hughes F-11 which is why I think it's got R-4360's) and the fuselage is mostly rectangular with rounded corners and it has a cockpit that looks almost like it came off a B-17 as well as the vertical tail (only one as opposed to the electra)
  5. nx13688

nx13688 Member

Douglas B-23 Dragon? I'd have to check my books, but I am pretty sure Hughes did own a B-23.
    And it was Preston Tucker. :)
    The car Stev0 referred to wasn't a Tucker, it was a '53 Buick - $1.62 MILLION! Link
  6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Yup that's it thanks. The one in the movie had a more elongated nose the tip of which was painted balck and I'll have to look but I don't think it had the tail gunner compartment either. Anyone have any 3 views?
  7. nx13688

nx13688 Member

Like this? This is the actual Hughes B-23, according to this site.
  8. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Yes that's it except for the paintjob which was bare metal