ID help needed

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by spitfire, Feb 27, 2005.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Hello all you steam experts, I have a burning question. On the pistons and the air reservoir in the pic below, what would the writing stencilled on say? Any ideas?
    Is it the service date? A warning label?

I have a stencil sheet with lots of warning labels, battery lables etc. for use on locos and I'm wondering if I can use any of them.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

It says, "If you can read this you're too close!" :)
  3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

I looked all through my pics & I don't have a single one that has the lettering :(
  4. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

I'm pretty certain, but not positive, that it contains data on last test date and such.

5. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Maybe service dates on the pistons...Max air pressure and test date on the air tank.
  6. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks guys. Ralph, I don't have a decal for that!!!

7. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Well it seems to me Val that it is your railroad so you could put on whatever you want. I searched through two books but not one of the locos had any print on the piston valve assemblies.
  8. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Any decal small enough to duplicate the size of the lettering in the photo, would be as unreadable as the photo! You could "fake it", and no one would be the wizer..............well, except you, me, and anyone who reads this thread. :D :D :D
  9. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

:D :D :D That's one of the reasons that HO is better than "G"!!

:eek: :eek: What??!!?? :eek: :eek:

:D :D :D :D :D :D
  10. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

You also know that you can get away with twice as much in N scale than HO.(still trying to put stripes on the ties of some of my LPB's) :D :D
  11. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

And anyone who asks, "What does that say?" :)
  12. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Why Roger!, put on your Optivisor!, it says, "Hydrostaticly tested 2/28/05",
    of course! :D :D :D :D

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!
  13. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

uh, yeah Pete, that's what it says - I knew that all along!!! :D:D:D:D

14. Diesel John

Diesel John Member

I would agree that it's a Hydro test date and it's always followed by the air cocks to be blown daily to reduce condensation in the air system
  15. engineshop

engineshop Member

If it is a European locomotive I would agree with above answers but since it is an American locomotive the sticker says:
  16. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Thanks John!
    Good one Engineshop!

17. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

The data you speak of is located in Microscale decal sets for steam locomotives. I have set 87-1019 for CNR steam locos,and you're right, it's very small and difficult to read. On the actual decals, even when viewed through a loupe, the wording is illegible. On the instruction sheet, the lettering on the cylinders appears to be letter and number combinations but I have no idea what they mean: perhaps valve stem and piston packing data? The lettering on the air tank reads:
    MB 9-10-50

Not much help: I wouldn't have even known that such lettering existed if I hadn't bought the decals. I guess a little learning IS a dangerous thing.