I would like help getting started

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by ric180, Aug 30, 2007.

1. ric180

ric180 New Member

:wave:Im pretty new here

I would really like some pointers on how to get started building my first cardmodel by myself. I dont really know where to begin at the moment so if anyone could just give me any pointers on quere to start i would really apreciate it. A tutorial on how to do this from scrath would be very helpful thanks!

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Start with golden bears three tutorials in this section - they are awesome. If you want downloadable versions look in the reserves in the parts bin area. What have you built so far and what part have you had issues with?

Use 65ish lb cardstock, not standard paper
    use elmers glue all, not school glue or aileens glue from a craft store (I use gold bottle)
    get good scissors or hobby knife with excel blades or even better a scalpel
    get sometehing fairly pointy like a crochet needle for scoring fold edges
    use a cutting mat
    use a steel ruler for straight lines

sorry if this is obvious but its important to get started right so as to not get frustrated :)

edit - I am sure I missed something so Russell will set me straight ;)
  3. ric180

ric180 New Member

So far i have only built some free models i have found around scattered on the net. i do use cardstock. i have some issues with gluing enclosed parts, thats a little tough for me. i never thought about the ruler thing, but thats a great idea. ill look at the tutorials thanks
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

5. ric180

ric180 New Member

where do i click to watch it? i dont understand the language

thanks again
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Don't forget, either markers or paints for finishing the white edges.
    A lot of times you can get away with just a black or grey marker.
    I prefer acrylic paints myself.

7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Go back up to my other post and try again.
    Oooops, I had put the wrong link in that post! hehehe

I fixed it!

8. ric180

ric180 New Member

Never mind, i see the tutorial thanks
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

10. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

For the enclosed parts, pre-fold it and find a way to make the last glue joint the easiest. A good pair of tweezers will help with sealing the interior joints as well.

Widget Supply has a good set for about 5 bucks. 6 inch 6pc Tweezer Set: Widget Supply
  11. redwolf28386

redwolf28386 Member

Are there any tutorials that start with the design process? I would like to design my own models but not sure how to start.wall1 I have skecthup, blender, gimp,netpaint, and 2 CAD programs. If any one can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it!
  12. dansls1

dansls1 Member

One piece of advise I'd give (to ric180) is to read every build thread you can find. Even if you aren't building the same type of model, the techniques often carry over. There is a wealth of tips and information available in online forums - but often it's in the middle of a build thread ;)
  13. ric180

ric180 New Member

I need pointers

I would like to do a model of this building but i dont know where to get started. Do I make an inside frame for it to make it more stable? This model should be about 2 feet tall. i need help in getting started. I would really appreciate it. This building is in the city of Medellin, Colombia. It is shape like a needle because it is owned by a sewing company.

I would really appreciate some help.

Edificio Coltejer:[​IMG]
  14. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

How strong?

If it's going to be that tall I would expect you'll need some inner structure - Look at some of the build threads in the "Ships and Watercraft" forum - note the internal structure used to set the shape of the ship before the outer skin of the hull goes on. You shouldn't need quite as much, but keep in mind that the internal structure does two things - sets the shape, and supports the structure.

Try two vertical pieces in an X configuration, holding a number of cross sections (say every four inches). Then you wrap a pretty colored skin around the whole thing.

15. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Try here

Try this site for starters. There are several others referenced in other threads in this forum.

Digital Art by Bryde - Tutorials