I wish for....

OwenCPR

Dec 23, 2003
Okotoks, Calgary AB Canada
Visit site
If the tooth fairy arrived tonight (and I still had baby teeth!!!), I would wish for an Atlas or Kato F7 (A and B Units) in CP Tuscon colours (not fussed on Block or Script - either would do!) Must have room for a decoder!

I know Kato have just put out F7 A units in lots of US road schemes - normally with one of their "sets" - Am I asking too much to see it released in CP (and I suppose CN for those so inclined)?

I have an old Life Like F7 A model which frankly doesn't cut it (will eventually turn it into a dummy unit).

Does anyone know whether Kato or Atlas plan on putting out such gems or any other manufacturer that would meet my requirements that I have missed?

lock4244

Nov 10, 2003
Scarborough, ON
Visit site
The only way Kato will do an F7 in CP is if they do a B unit only, or if they wish to stray from offering locomotives done to match the prototype. Believe it or not, CP never owned any F7A's... they had FP7A's and F7B's. The FP7A is about 5 feet longer than the F7A, space for the steam generator. Don't quote me on the exact length as I have no reference material in front of me. My source for this information is the CDN Trackside Guide.

Since they just re-released the F3, I imagine a re-release of the F7 outside of a train set is a posibility. Don't hold your breath on an FP7A! I think the F3 re-release is in response to other N mfg's releasing an F3.

Mike

OwenCPR

Dec 23, 2003
Visit site
Thanks for the distinctions....you learn something new everyday!

Can still dream about having a few FP7As one day on my layout that work better than the Life Like loco I have now....A FP7A / B / A consist really would be great...technically I can't run my Kato E8s over the Rockies as they were out East for their lives right? Still I can be creative....it is my layout after all?

lock4244

Nov 10, 2003
Scarborough, ON
Visit site
I have found the key to being happy in N is to be patient. Since I started in N, the stuff that the mfg's have released seems unbelieveable looking back to 1983! RTR chopnose GP9's, cylindrical covered hoppers, modern tankcars are all things I used to dream about, and they are now a reality. I'm still waiting for RTR C630M's, M630's and M363's! Now that is wishful thinking, and compared to that, an FP7A is one heck of alot more probable!

Mike

OwenCPR

Dec 23, 2003
Visit site
Thanks Mike....I started in the early 80s (as a Teenager). First loco was an Atlas - Riverossi E8 in B & O colours with the vertical motor (not sure what the motor is exactly called) and the small pick-up shoes. It still runs like the dog it is! (not very well!) I still have it and want to repaint and kit bash it to match CP 1801 before it was wrecked.

He heh, THAT brings back memories (nightmares?).

The Atlas/Rivorossi B & O E8 was one of my first locomotives in N-scale too. What a disappointment!

It looked so nice, ran SO bad. Couln't pull it's own weight, let alone 10 passenger cars!

It just makes you realise how FAR we have come in N-scale since those days. What I wouldn't have done back then to have my current Kato E8s (or even the Life-Likes which run 100 times better than my old Rivorossi) running around on my early layouts.

Gavin

http://users.bigpond.net.au/miller_site/Gavin_index.html

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Owen:
I still have one of those Atlas E units, only mine's in Pennsy colours.
Are you modelling an exact part of the CPR or an imaginary branch? Imaginary lines are very useful. You could take one of the surveys that didn't turn out or where the line would have gone if they hadn't found Kicking Horse Pass. Or model the line from Banff to Jasper.
If you have a line that didn't exist, then you will have to either use locos that didn't exist or borrow them from somewhere else. Either way, you can use your E8 or F7A in the mountains.

OwenCPR

Dec 23, 2003
Visit site
Actually, my layout (13' x 6' in a U shape) loosely represents the Kettle Valley and Crowsnest Pass.....with a lot of licence thrown in! Still in the benchwork / tracklaying stages. I kid myself that the "Canadian" runs through instead of going through Kicking Horse Pass pulled by my E8s. Will try to build up a fleet of Budd cars by Kato and Con Cor but they are becoming scarcer by the day!

I love first and early second generation diesels - especially C Liners (had the pleasure to hop on the one in the Alyth Yards that belongs in High River) and want to run long C Liner, FM Trainmaster and FA-1 Coal units through the mountains.

Re the Atlas - Riverossi E8 - any sugestions as to what body I can mount the shell onto? At this stage I was thinking of making it a dummy unit but a powered body that the shell could fit onto with room for a decoder would be wonderful!