I went multi -command systems tonight

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

After a year with multiply MTH engines I officially added DCS to my layout. I have to admit I love it while the TMCC and TPC did a great job, adding DCS was so easy I wished I added it with my first MTH engine.

I still have to set up the TMC to work with the DCS system to see how it compares to the CAB 1 but for now I'm sold on the need for both TMCC and DCS.
  2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

What an experience, I can only hope that Legacy is as nice. Now after all most 24 hours I can say adding the DCS was a good investment. Don't get me wrong there was nothing really wrong with the old style TMCC. Once you learn TMCC it does practically everything DCS can do.

However DCS is by far much faster to learn and set up for MTH engines than using the Lionel TPC and then learning what every button does on the Cab 1. In addition with the DSC you don't have to learn how to program those TPC's.

Now in the operational side DCS and TMC to me is the same. Each can cruise the engines at an extremely low scale mile speed. I guess DSC can do a few more things but so far I haven't bothered to figure out what those things are.

I do like the MTH hand controller much better than the Cab 1. But to be honest that is not a fair comparison. They are two different types of controllers. If you know your Cab 1 then they are even more alike than they are different. However the Cab 1 doesn't have that neat little screen to help you find what functions you want. The new Legacy does take care of that issue.

I can't fault the old old Cab 1 TMCC design, it was ground breaking 15 years back and still as functional as it ever was. Few products can have that claim. But certainly the DSC system is deserving of the hype it has received.

I hope to give the TMCC a workout later tonight when I get around to setting it up through the DIU and program a few engines. The bonus is that I can choose to use either the older Cab1 or the newer DCS hand held controller.

I guess when I boil everything down the mating of these two products offers the best choices for O gauge trains. Those that view either system with blinder will miss the great choices both have to offer together.

Now my only Zinger goes to Mike Wolfe and MTH for keeping MTH closed. A future with both systems being compatible offers a better future for O gauge trains. Now I'm dreaming about what could have been and what could be in the future of O gauge operating systems.
  3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

I am glad you enjoy the DCS. I have been using it sence it came out in 2002 and loving every minute of it.:thumb:
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Don't get me wrong TMCC is great and it does a GREAT job with MTH engines. However the learning curve does go to MTH. It is a easier system to learn than going with TMCC and the TPC's.

I have had some issues since I last posted with my DCS, but nothing that I couldn't deal with. I just not use to lost engines, clean track and a bunch of other things that can affect the DCS signal.

However I'm very glad I added it (DCS) and would recommend having both systems period. I will note that I like Lionel engines with straight TMCC better but the trade off is I like the DCS remote over the CAB1.:mrgreen:
  5. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

So now I have a few days of DCS under my belt. I have had some issues with DCS that I never had with TMCC. I have had to rest MTH engines for unknown reasons. It was however fast to figure out how to get them back on line after they lost their sounds for an unknown reason. I still can't figure out why they do this but that is the only issue when operating MTH engines with DCS.

Operating TMCC with the DCS has had issues. I can't figure this one yet but I keep loosing signal or at least the DCS remote does. I get errors such as CLEAN TRACK or something like NO RF SIGNAL. With some playing around I do get it to work but it is a pain.

Operating conventional through the variable outlet went pretty good until I start up an MTH engine on the elevated section of track. The DCS engine ran fine however I lost all communication with the conventional engine. I had a run away train with no way to stop it.

I suspect these are just learning curve issues but I do have a feeling I will be using the old TMCC system excluding the DCS TUI for my Lionel engines.

For conventional it may be a simple back to the transformer to get away from the run away trains.

I still like the DCS and other than the engine resets it does a great job.
  6. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

Hi John,

Welcome to the 21st Century. Glad you like the DCS. I have been using both systems for some time and have not had the issues you mention. It may be because I do not use the TPC's.
  7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Hi JE. The problem happens when I'm not using the TPC's. As a matter of fact they are no longer hooked up to the layout. It is 100% DCS that I am having the issues with.

Well I have to head over the mountain to a playoff game so maybe I will work on this weekend.