I was too slow

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
to finish my scene in time for the contest. Heck, I still haven't poured the water yet. I figure since I've missed the deadline I'd go ahead and post the unfinished scene. It's real close tho. That's some fish he caught, heh?

Attachments

• p1010225jpg.jpg
    p1010225jpg.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 191

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Here is a photo of the only thing still holding me up from pouring the water, still working on the appearance of the falls.

Attachments

• p1010223jpg.jpg
    p1010223jpg.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 180

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Gary,
Great looking scene with the man holding the fish he just caught, love it.

Sorry you missed out on the comp

Shamus
shamus

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks Robin and Woodie. Shamus, I have no one to blame but myself, I forgot the fourth week was for voting. No big deal, I'm glad to be able to share it. Belg, those motors are slow motion switch machines by Switchmaster. They will be concealed by a structure abutting the one in the photo.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Gary, this is a pretty small scene - brings life into the layout!

Having caught such a nice fish I would be mighty proud if a LPB-photographer showed up to make a piccie of me! (say CHEESE :) )
On the other hand - perhaps the fish doesn't smell so good :eek:. It seems that the dog has backed off to breathe fresh air...:D :D :D

One question remains: How did you model that fish?

Ron

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks to all for their kind comments. Ron, I didn't model the fish, the figure is by Preiser. Terry, the Preiser figure set actually comes with some bristle like material to simulate a rod, perhaps a fly fishing type ( I don't fish so I really don't know). It isn't very convincing and I want to make one, and a tackle box, but just haven't gotten to it. I figure I can taper a thin styrene rod for the pole and a short section of the styrene rod for a reel. Or I could just paint the fisherman like Crocodile Dundee and give him a sharpened stick with blood on the tip!

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
LOL, Gary - what a garish idea with that bloody stick! :D :D :D

Just a suggestion for the fishing rod: Take a piece of plastic sprue, heat it over a candle flame (cautiously! There might be fumes!) until it softens - then stretch it with a steady motion. It takes a little practice, but this way you can produce thin, wire-like plastic threads. The faster you pull, the thinner they become.

You can use these for a lot of things, from a bristle-thick fishing rod to a thinner-than-a-hair automobile antenna. (This stretched-sprue technique is well known among car model builders - it's not my invention.)

Fix the rod in a tiny hole on a model or (--> your rod) on the ground with a small drop of glue. I wouldn't recommend styrene plastic glue, because it can soften that rod so much that it will droop and/or lie down flat. Cyanoacrylate glue or even common white glue are ok, however.

Ron

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks Ron, I have heard of the sprue idea but have never tried it, I had forgotten about it. If you thought the bloddy stick was a garish idea I don't suppose you'd like the idea I had for detailing one of my city streets, a sail cat!