I was able to run my trains today

rhtastro

After nearly 4 months laid up in the hospital, in rehab and at home, after a fall from a ladder while tree trimming, (broken pelvis and right wrist) I was able to hobble into my train room, with cane, for the first time today. Everything looked so good and neat and organized. I wasn't able to scoot under the setup yet to get to the control panel, but I could reach it from the back and even that way if worded well. I ran the large freight with it's combined UP and SF PA's around several tracks without mishap. Then I brought out the Super Chief from it's siding and let it roar around for a bit. At first I wrote a couple of wrong codes on the Marklin digital control panel and for another I couldn't remember the loco's code number. Then when I got to # 78 it started right up. I'll remember that code from now on. I'd only had that loco a couple of weeks before my accident. I can't believe how well everything worked. Everything has just sat there for all of 4 months and it started up perfectly. Today was a day to remember for sure. What a great hobby we have. I feel much better already.
Cheers, Bobsign1:wave::wave:

N

nachoman

Geez. I am a do-it-yourselfer, but when it came to getting a large tree trimmed, I called someone else:) It was the power lines running through the tree that I was worried about :) Glad to hear you got back to your train room. Did you get any magazine reading done in the hospital? !!!

Great idea!!! My brother has STACKS of model railroader magazines in his garage. He "inheirited" them from somebody, but my brother has no space for them and asked me if I wanted them. He said he probably going to throw them away. Maybe, next time a fellow gauger is in the hospital or stuck in bed, I can grab a few magazines from my brother and pass them along. If anyone needs magazines, let me know and I will see if I can arrange it :)

Kevin

Sarge_7

Get well soon Bob, hope ya start feeling better:thumb::thumb:

Kevin, I could use the october 83 issue of MR:rolleyes:

sgtcarl

Bob,
Hang in there, buddy! Glad you are up and around! Running trains is an ideal way to get some recreational therapy!

rhtastro

I went out to the train house again today, feeling much better, and ran the UP Mike logging train and the NYC PA freight. Love the sound of that Mike, puff, puff, puff, puff and the PA with it's diesel sounds. This is a lot better than physical therapy, for sure. :wave::wave: I may be able to get on my new tractor and mow my field next week. But no more tree climbing. :mrgreen::mrgreen: Bob

rhtastro

Thanks to all who took the time to send those encouraging letters above. There are really a lot of great folks on this forum. Today, I made a mistake and accidentally coupled my UP Big Boy tender to a UP PA double unit at very low speed. They can't run together since the codes are different. And I can't get into the layout to fix that since I'm still a little disabled, but getting better. No problem really since they're on a siding and out of the way and there are many more trains that can run freely. However, my grandson is coming up from Sacramento in a few days and he can take care of that. He'll have a lot of fun running the layout, of course with my supervision. Cheers, Bob:wave::wave:

DeckRoid

Hey Bob

Glad to hear you are doing better and even better to hear you are getting out to enjoy your trains.

Maybe you can find a physical therapist who says that you need more "train time" to help the healing and rehabilitation process.

George