I want to start designing papercraft

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by lordbandit1, Mar 26, 2008.

1. lordbandit1

lordbandit1 New Member

hi I'm just suscrbied finaly to this page.. I had a lot of problems with it... but I was a visitor since last year... I love papercraft, mainly mechas.. gundams are my favorites... I'm a fan of gundam wing and have all the pvc models... I would like to start making my own papercraft.. so with what program should I start? or how do I start.. I'm a graphic designer so I work with Adobe, Macormedia, Corel, you named so it wouldn't be difficult to adapt to another program.. I just read about a guy making the samurai gundam and he just subscribed in december and wow his model is awesome and said he got help from here. So, what I'm asking if is anyone would be so kind to point me in the right direction, this site is huge and if there's a threat about this sorry I couldn't find it.

P.S. I would like to be appointed with programs please, thanks ;)
  2. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

o_O Anoher willing designer? Well, start off with Metasequoia!
  3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Welcome onboard!!!:mrgreen: You can find a number of Gundam designers here, check the threads in designer's corner and Cartoon/Anime models section, I'm sure they will be of great help to you! Rob, Skip and others here are all great designers in the Gundam genre!

And yea, for designing go for Metasequoia, it's the best option and it's... free!!
    For unfolding you'll need Pepakura which sadly is not free... (sucks doesn't it:oops:)
    Pepakura Designer
    Since you're a graphic designer I'm sure you won't have problems with textures sign1

(No offence intended to all those left out in the links...)
    And special mention...

Edit: Soaring... You're even faster than me... hats off
  4. Soaring

5. lordbandit1

lordbandit1 New Member

man thanks to everyone for replying so quickly, thank u so much for the links, I noticed that many gundam kits are based in a skeleton, and I'm watching Knight's hyaku thread righ now.. and it comes to me that If I build a "generic" squeleton I just can design different parts that will make him look like a different gundam (I know theyr'e not all the same but i'ts going to be a whole lot faster that way) and for what do I want to starf off would be epion or sandrock but for now I'll go into theory to get used to the programs thanks to everyone I'll keep posting if everything goes well
  6. Soaring

Good luck! Every "Designer" Says it's easy, I beg to differ :D
  7. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

LOL. It's only easy when you know how. Even then it gets tricky as hell sometimes. You have to keep in mind that every object has to be buildable. :)

I've designed a few models now, but when I try my hand at something new such as an anime figure, I'm at a total loss!

My tip to Bandit would be to take your time, get to know the software, and keep your first design fairly simple to get your confidence up. My first design was a borg cube! LOL!!!

Good luck with the designing, there's a wave of Gundam designers popping up lately, it's great! :)

8. loc-nar

loc-nar New Member

Nobody has mentioned 2D designing. You said you have adobe (photoshop?) and corel, you can use that software to design. You could use MSpaint to design. You could draw by hand then scan and print your designs.

Just because 3D software is popular does not make it exclusive.

Designing in 2D will help you fully understand how things fit and how they unfold. And you will not need additional software (pepakura)to unfold it.

Though this is no longer a well travelled avenue.
  9. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

It's never easy... one must always start simple, and then keep practicing and trying out new and more complicated things...

You must think in Russian, think...er, in 3D! Think in 3D!
  10. Soaring

WEll at least the one's I've met....
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Loc-nar (glad to hear from you again its been a while) has a very valid point. There are some superb models out there designed in paint and the likes. If you are already well versed in those then maybe doing some designing there first would be the ticket. It would certainly be worth a shot! I suppose its really your preference if you want to learn some new software or not :)

If you do decide to go with the 3D like metasquoia you are more likely to find help though as I think most people are using it.

I think its a thing of beauty in any case to see someone start something from scratch and show us the process they used - no matter what they choose to try.
  12. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

I found that the best way to begin is to actually build some models first. That way you get a feel for how a model is put together, what tricks are used for making shapes and gives you hands-on experience.
    Plus your mind cant help but puzzle out ways that some parts could perhaps be altered to better fit your own style for when you finally start designing your own models.
  13. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I beg to differ from Loc-nar... There are some shapes that you simply can't design in 2D without hundreds of trial-and-error... Well, I guess models like rockets are good to be designed with 2D, but once things gets a little complex, you'll find that no 2D software can achieve your desired function...
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I have never designed - recolored yes but never designed. All I know is I have seen great models done with 2d design. I am not bashing 3d of course, dont take it that way :D I am saying he is already familiar with many 2d apps and why not start by designing something fairly simple? nothing wrong with that. And you cant deny that there are some great models out there designed before any 3d tools were around :)
  15. loc-nar

loc-nar New Member

I agree almost completely Lex.
  16. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

Although I use 3D programs, these are just tools to make some operations easier. It is entirely possible to use only 2D software (take Paragon's techniques with Photoshop), or even no software at all, for complex models. Remember that many of the older cardmodels like the ones from the former Eastern Bloc countries made in the 1970s were without the benefit of computer technology. Those are clearly hand-drawn with pen and paper on drafting boards. But they do require a much higher degree of skill and much more time.
  17. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

...yes and those on jon leslie's site are done by... MS Word!! o_O
  18. julescrafter

julescrafter Member

Yes I remember those time when I have to draw it manually with a pencil and rapido pen. There was no Computer software that support me, in 1993, when I was a kid, I missed that time, I wish I could go back in time :p .