I want to buy ancient Roman coins directly from the source. Who knows a...

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Coin Collector, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coin Collector

Coin Collector New Member

...source I can buy from? I want to buy ancient Roman coins directly from the source, the actual archeological dig site and people who found them. I would like to get their contact information to do business with them directly. No middle man.
  2. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

I believe it is illegal to traffic in archeological artifacts. Any reputable archeologist would not offer anything for sale...He'd wind up in jail if he were caught.
  3. paanbahar

paanbahar New Member

You are out of luck. Both Julius Caeser and his Treasury Secretary have been dead. Of course it is only a rumor, but to the best of my knowledge they are not dealing any more!

Seriously, the only "source" is a reputable dealer, unless you want to buy by the trunkful in which case you can go and make a deal with a museum which usually makes a bid for larger batches than they can store or display.
  4. medoraman

medoraman New Member

I understand your feeling, but it is very hard. Most archeologists who find coins do not keep them, they are the property of the dig. Most people who dig coins for a living do not sell direct, but sell to dealers who can move the coins to Western Europe. The only sources I know of direct would be a few metal detectorists in England who sell direct through Ebay.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.