I wanna try the LM...

Tonino

OK you can say I'm crazy (and perhaps you are right...) but I cannot resist.

I've never tried any of the @uhu02 mythical works and was thinking to a subject to start with.
But - who am I kidding? - since the first day I've seen that incredible LM I knew perfectly I couldn't escape: I MUST TRY IT!

OK it's not the easiest model to build... but, you know, if I don't hit my head on it I don't understand...

I have a little shame (no... a BIG shame) watching to the works by @mk310149 ... so I was not sure if it is worth posting my building here - aside his LM - but I decided I want to share all with you so...

I don't know what will be, but, whatever happens, you'll see it in real time... (LONG time I suppose...)

OK let's start with the printer... well... this was easy :D

DSC06120.JPG

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
You should never be ashamed of posting your work on this forum.
Granted, we have many ADVANCED and SPECTACULAR builders here. These people are not here to prove their superiority in building models. They are here to share their skills, talents, tips and techniques, and are always willing to help those who are new to this hobby.
So posting a build thread is a GREAT idea for anyone (regardless of their skills). Not only that, but if you run into trouble with a particular model, there will be someone to help you through that trouble spot.
I wish you the best of luck with it!!!
I will be watching this thread.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
After seeing your work, I don't think you will have any difficulty making this model. (other than the normal ones everyone has making any model ). I look forward to your build!! :)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Good luck Tonino, when I saw this one I've decided to print on A3, A4 might just be a bit fiddly. :)

Not that I've started building it, currently throwing together a biltong maker. :)

Tonino

I see building in doubled dimension could be a good walk-around to certain building challenges... but:

1) I don't have an A3 color printer
2) my wife gave me an "aut-aut" regarding amount of space granted to my models (so my cm2 are almost finished)
3) I'm crazy
4) I've a lot of spare scalpel blades...

So: let's go with A4 sheets...

Thanks for your wishes.... more to come soon! :D

BTW... what is a "biltong maker..." ???

Last edited:

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Well, to start, biltong is a South African speciality, basically strips of dried meat, seasoned to taste ;)
It's like what the Americans call jerky, just cut thinner.

The biltong maker itself is just a closeable box with some racks to hang the meat & a way to dry the meat installed, lights or fans, etc. I'm using a 12cm PC chassis fan.

The major problem one faces is mould growth while the meat dries, but, I'm a microbiologist, so I know steps to reduce contamination. ;)

I'll post a pic once's done.

Can't wait to see the Lander come together!

Tonino

Well... the start was not very lucky. I used white glue to laminate the 3 layers strucutre (as indicated on the sheet itself) but, perhaps used too much glue. So, even if I let it dry inside a big dictionary all night long, my first LM piece came out badly distorted.

DSC06121.JPG

The good part of card modeling is that you have a second chance all the times: just print again and retry. This time I want to use my preferred glue, a solvent based one (UHU) and, instead of 3 sheets together, I'll laminate 2 sheets only (a clean piece of cardboard under one of the printed halves) and will cut separately the third layer. I prefer to cut twice and then align the parts while glueing instead of folding the page before cutting (using the little red references), because I'm sure that one of the sides (the one faced down while you cut) will probably result screwed up due to misalignment.

DSC06124.JPG
Up: the second try, much better. Under: on the left the laminated piece, on the right the single sheet.

DSC06125.JPG
Moreover, two layers are easier to cut than three

DSC06126.JPG
The four halves already edge-colored (with grey felt-tip pen)

DSC06129.JPG
After another thin UHU layer the first nucleus of my LM is ready...

Last edited:

Neon Neuron

Wow!
Even in these primary stages the model looks amazing!
I want to build an UHU02 someday.
I'm glad you decided to share this with us, because I use a tacky glue and never tried a solvent based adhesive. I run into the same problems with paper warping and thought only applying less glue was a solution, but then dries too quickly.
I'm also going to start coloring in my edges, too.
You have good craftsmanship and the cuts are very clean!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Beautiful craftsmanship/ Cutting the part out is 3/4's of the battle in my mind. :)

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Those are VERY CLEAN CRISP cut. That is very difficult to do.
KEEP UP THE GREAT JOB!!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great start, Tonino! I'll be following this build. As for the warped part, maybe you have used too much glue?

Tonino

Thanks to all! Your appreciation is the best reward I can ask for.

Yes @Revell-Fan I surely put too much glue on it. Just another experience to add...

Detailing rear wall. I enjoy a lot building all those tiny pieces...
DSC06130.JPG DSC06133.JPG
A photo with my own finger, just like @uhu02 :D

DSC06132D.jpg
And one with the labels, good for a NASA reference book...

Last edited:

Tonino

Thanks to all! But I'm afraid this is only the simple part...
Well, let's proceed. Here's a little update.

DSC06134.JPG DSC06137.JPG DSC06140.JPG
The side walls of the rear compartment.... Cutting work in progress.... Side bulkheads in place

DSC06141.JPG DSC06143.JPG DSC06144.JPG
A test fit without glue of the rear wall..... Assembling the upper hatch

DSC06146.JPG DSC06147.JPG
Ascent engine mounting frames..... To keep in place tiny parts you have to invent a lot of tricks

DSC06148.JPG DSC06149.JPG
A view of the open hatch from inside and from outside.

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Tonino, you are "kicking butt' on this! Fantastic, clean cut and fit. Wonderful to watch come together. :)

Tonino

Thanks zathros :)

A little update.
Now starts my favourite part of the work: detailing the interior.
There are a lot of tiny parts to build with my big fingers...

DSC06156.JPG
The first challenges are the ECS (environmental control system) and the water control module. Here are all the parts ready to be folded and joined.

DSC06157.JPG
I added - under the knobs - two 2mm. little discs to raise them a little and appear more "tridimensional"

DSC06175.JPG DSC06177.JPG DSC06176.JPG
The ECS finished. In the middle photo the water control module, a very strange shape for a very little piece...

DSC06161.JPG DSC06178.JPG DSC06179.JPG
The left hand mid section stowage, before and after some precision work...

Observing those photo I realize that my printer should have a slightly lower resolution than uhu02's one. His parts seems to have a very better looking than mine.
The difference perhaps is so evident only at a very close look. I hope the general appearance will not be affected too much by this "technical issue".

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Everything is coming together beautifully.
Everything looks FANTASTIC!!!