I Think I May have To Get Bought Out Again.

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Geno

Geno Member

I've bought more than once from Trainz- their selection, service, and communication is good. I won an auction for a Lionel UP Dash-9, and upon receiving it I found it to be defective- I got in touch with them and they refunded my money after I returned the engine to them.

Many train sellers on Ebay are not so honest- the same thing happened to me when I won an auction on a Lionel CNJ SD-40-2. But this time the seller told me too bad, as is (as stated in the auction). I also told him that he stated the engine was 'mint and unrun' (it was not)- and I would take him to Ebay dispute on this item. All I got for my trouble was a repair bill from Lionel and a neagative feedback.

I would read the actual negative comments first before I made a decision whether or not to bid on their items. Twenty pages with only two negatives is a good seller to me.

BTW, don't count on that price staying that low- it will spike right at the end.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I've noticed that about a lot of Lionel stuff. Even the stuff that isn't worth it. It seems like people go nuts for this stuff and don't stop to think a little bit about what they're buying or do any research on it.

Of course, I made the same mistake with that HO Burlington Northern I bought for my daughter's track. The guy stated that it ran good and had tested ok. When we got it, it would barely make it halfway around the track, was missing the horn and handrails, and dirty. I sent it to shaygetz for emergency surgery and he had to replace the brushes and traction tire. (He also found a new horn for it).

When I e-mailed the seller about it, he said he would refund the auction cost but not my shipping charges. If I had paid to send it back to him, I would have spent more on the shipping than I did the engine, so I just had it fixed instead. Still trying to decide how badly I want to neg this guy.
  3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I did find a new Williams GP-9 BNSF sporting the green, orange and yellow. The Williams number is GP9-225 and my LHS has a price on it of $150. It navigates 0-27 curves and it is 13 inches long and has a height of 4 inches. In addition he can get a GP38 (GP38-201) with the same specs as above.
  4. Cannonball

Yeah, I saw that one on the Williams site. I just look at the Green and Orange and think "pumpkin"
  5. Cannonball

Just got around to checking out his page. Some very nice work.
    Any idea about what he charges?
  6. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

He charges by the hour and cost of his materials, so it'll depend on how complex the job is for him. Best thing to do is e-mail him what you have in mind and ask for an estimate.
  7. Cannonball

I kinda figured it would be something like that.
    People doing custom work and charging by the hour scare my wallet a little. LOL....
    I might drop him a line anyway. I'm gonna have some work that will need done eventually.
  8. Geno

Geno Member

Jeff Sohn's work is well known in the O gauge community- not cheap but if you have to have that perfect paint job on your diesel, he's the guy to do it.

As with everything else in O gauge, if you don't have the budget for it you have to do it yourself- painting engines and rolling stock takes quite a bit of practice to get it right, but no one starts out being an expert.

I'd consider buying a practice shell cheap at a train show, picking up the gear, and trying to paint it yourself. start with basic colors, practice taping and decaling- after a few tries you might surprise yourself.