I Think I May have To Get Bought Out Again.

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Jan 30, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

you can put 031 on a 4x8 i did. well i think i did, fasttrack is 031 right? i even had a straght in the middle of the curve. then a had a 2nd line of 027 tube track inside the loop of fasttrack,

2. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

You can. The number of possible layouts decreases even further than it already is with O27 though. I'm not sure what I'm going to do there yet either. I'm waiting until I get all the track replaced before I make anything permanent.
  3. Bnsf

Hey Cannonball,
    I have the same problem in s scale. I want the same color scheme but it is sold out .american Models says that they should have some later this year, I'll wait and see
  4. Cannonball

It sucks not being able to find what you want in your gauge. If I didn't have so much invested in O27 already, I'd say to heck with it and go N scale. Right now I'm just trying to find some undecorated diesels that I can slap my own logo on and will run on O27 track.
  5. Geno

Geno Member

No one said it was going to be easy running O gauge- it's expensive, hard to find room for the track plans you want to lay out, some engines hard to find- but when when you've been it long enough you realize why you're into O gauge.

No other scale has the sensory impact that our trains have. The guys who run smaller scales say they can run longer trains, fit more into a given space- all true. But for any given type or length of train in a given space, O scale attracts more attention and has more presence than any other scale.

Beginners often get discouraged by lack of some equipment, the high cost of scale rolling stock and engines, as well as the learning curve- don't let any of these things make you quit. If you need inspiration or a goal, just look in the latest copy of CTT or OGR magazine- you can see both small and large layouts.

6. Cannonball

Oh, I'm not quitting. I've been playing with O27 since I was 5 years old. I'm too nostalgic for them now to really give them up. I do wish I had more space but that's another kettle of fish to fry. Right now, I'm haivng to rethink my railroad line. I think I will settle on the Green and Orange Beep for now I'll order two of them. I also have a line on the old Blue and Yellow Santa Fe.
  7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

[FONT=&quot]Fastrack comes in 036, 048, 060, 072 and 084. Real Trax comes in 031, 042, 054, 072 and 082. Most of the popular locomotives will run on 0-31. There is even a nice group that will run on 027.

You are never limited to getting the locomotive design that you are looking for period. There are more than enough custom shops around that can produce the exact custom body shell you want in O gauge. It is only a matter of contacting them and sending them the locomotive to have painted in your desired rail name. In my opinion they look better than stock. So in most cases in less than a month you can have any rail name along with the colors of your choice. Locomotives and rolling stock are only limited by the amount of money you have to spend.

Layouts are only limited by lack of creativity. Even a 4x8 layout can provide three main lines, switching, a siding or two and even room for a small city. There is a ton of good layout designs based on a 4X8 located on the web.

O gauge is more expensive just based on size alone. You can't get away from this but then again you can moderate price by the design of your layout or using postwar locomotives and rolling stock.

My 5X8 has four mainlines if you count my trolley line. Two of those lines are interconnected for dual operation. I have seven switches along with a small yard that can hold 12 cars. The layout has a dual tunnel along with the third mainline elevated above the double mainline tracks. Plans call for a farm setting that will include fields, farm house, barns and related structures. There will be a passenger station located on top of the mountain for the elevated mainline.

This is more than enough space to have a fun time running a train system and it can be modified to run on a 4X8 layout size.

About the only limiting factor for this set up would be money since the 7 switches alone came to $420. The cost factor of course can become even greater when you want more features outside of the compact track plans for a 4x8. However you can off set this by building your layout in stages.[/FONT]
  8. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

That guy has 9 negagtive feed backs in the last 30 days.
  9. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Paint an engine and decal it.
  10. Cannonball

What guy?? :confused:
  11. Cannonball

I've thought about it. But I can't paint.
  12. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

I think he means you. To brighten the mood, don't worry about small sizes. If you like O27 then stick with it. You can use extra track for displaying trains around the house (spouse permitingsign1 ). What you should do is wory about getting the track set up first and such. Finaly, if you REALLY want a certain loco in a scheme you can't get, just wait for it or send in a request form for one. Nothing comes to you easily quickly;)
  13. Cannonball

Tell me about it. I just lost out on another bid for first shift today. :mad:
    Boss keeps telling me I'm too critical where I'm at and he doesn't want to move me.
    If that's the case, I want to know where my pay raise is. :mad:

Ah well... That's another rant for another time.

We're here to talk about TRAINS!!! :D
  14. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

then (trains) tell(trains) him (trains) that (trains) It's (trains) either (trains) first (trains) shift (trains) or (trains) a (trains) pay (trains) raise! (trains!):D
  15. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

16. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

17. Cannonball

18. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

19. Cannonball

20. Brian R.

Brian R. Member

Sohn is the best of the best when it comes to custom painting.