I should have known

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by JR&Son, Jan 14, 2007.

1. JR&Son

JR&Son Member

With a little help from the left coast,
    I have asembled a pair of F9's to head up the Red Mountain and Flat River RR.
    I swapped the wires to the motor around on one of these to run it backwards.
    Being a startup railroad , they are still in the Red Warbonnets

I then reworked one of the F7 Tyco's, stripped it out and dummyed it, including a rewire to keep the headlight working, that was no small feat. One thing Tyco COULD do was build a weight forthe Loco. It appears to be hardened aluminum. It doesnt cut, grind or drill worth a darn.

ANYWAY, he is abit under the weather so as he slept (he never takes a nap), I set up the 3 "A" units and a fairly long mixed freight. 2 forward facing and 1 rear facing. So Im running it around the track at a pretty good clip and he walks into his bedroom and asks "What cha doing?" I replied "Running the train". He then tells me "Your doing it all wrong".

He then procedes to remove an F9 and the faked F7 and takes off with the only F9 still on the track with the entire load of freights. Im impressed with the amount of rail cars that poor little Bachman pulled around the oval. Throttle was wide open but she was still not really hauling very fast.

I then pull up RailPictures.com and procede to show him the first twenty or so "AAA" set ups. At each one he states very emphatically, "Yep, they're doing it wrong too"

I just gave up!

2. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

You may have to rewrite the hostler's manual for your railroad to reflect the policies of the management. :)
  3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

JR tell your son we used to use four F7's on the Western Pacific. ;) Wrong or not, they were great sounding and fun to ride.

4. JR&Son

JR&Son Member

Magement policy:
    Always includes 2 cabooses
    An alligator on the tracks
    And at least 2 or 3 "O"scale airplanes floating around.

5. JR&Son

JR&Son Member

By the way,
    I posted this in the wrong forum....
    We run HO, now you understand my "O" airplane comment

6. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

An alligator on the tracks? Are you modeling the railways from the Florida Everglades? :confused:
  7. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Is that the Bachman engine that you got from me, the one that you said were impressed by the amount of cars it could pull?
  8. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hi JR, could you expand upon this procedure?
  9. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

JR...swapping the motor wires reverses polarity, and would cause two engines to go in opposite directions...why would you want that? You're just making a tug of war between the two locos if you do that! :eek:
  10. JR&Son

JR&Son Member

On DC ONLY:
    Once you remove the shell, you should find 2 terminals mounted somewhere on or near the motor/motor frame. On this particular Bachman the front terminal had 2 reds and a black wire attached...The rear terminal had a black, green and red wire attached. The red wire had popped off of the truck, but no bother to resolder. It is kind of confusing why they mixed and matched the reds and blacks, but they did none the less. I unsoldered them as a unit, making sure they stayed together. Swapping them as a unit to the other terminal, now changes the bias or direction of rotation on the motor.
    Now if you take the first A unit and place it clockwise on the track, forward is clockwise. Take the 2nd A unit and place it on the track BACKWARDS, forward is still clockwise. Have I lost you yet? Now just to complicate the picture further, I took a 30 year old Tyco, leaving the pickup wheels intact, stripped the POS motor out of it, and wired the headlight up to work. Now I have 2 powered A's and an unpowered A rolling down the "Red Mtn and Flat River RR"
    If my description is not clear I could do some pictures.
    Let me know

11. JR&Son

JR&Son Member

Not the Everglades, or for that matter Outer Space
    (He likes Frisbees)

12. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

When I worked for the SP, I have hopped rides several times on F7's. The ride I liked best was on the SP Cab forward.
  13. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hi JR,:wave:

Like Miles stated above, there's some kind of bug in this logic.:) :)

If you take any loco that is running forward on DC, pick it up off the track, swap ends
    and set it back down, it will continue to move in the same direction as before, now running
    in reverse. It's not required to cut wires to mu locos together, front-to-back or front-to-front.
    Just a fact of life!!:D

I have no idea what's going on inside that B-mann but the 2 I have are as I described. :thumb:
  14. JR&Son

JR&Son Member

Perhaps your Right

The not so bright
    ps This was just an excersise to show son how it is done
  15. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

I do have to admit, however, that the old Revell 0-6-0-T "Omaha" I have
    was wired contrary to the standard. In order to couple it up as a helper
    I had to swap wires! :D :D
  16. JR&Son

JR&Son Member

The Tyco's from 30 years ago I KNOW we swapped.
    Granted I was just a kid and Dad never told me why....
    Oh well, I have wasted time doing things I enjoyed less.
    Bottom line is ANYTHING done with a child is worth every second it takes to do.