#$&%! I should have asked!

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by timber, Dec 27, 2006.

1. timber

timber New Member

Well I was so happy to spend a little of my christmas money while on vacation on a nice new Athearn BNSF C44-9W. Only to get home and find out that my turn radius on ALL of my turns is too short. :cry: It's a love hate thing with the Bachman EZ track.

So since I'm running 18" I need to go up to 22" radius turns?
  2. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Yupper doodles, try the 24" even, if you can.
  3. CRed

CRed Member

Atleast,for one of those beasts.The layout I'm building will have 26" and 28" radius curves so I should be covered for just about anything!

4. CRed

CRed Member

Oh,and on a side note.I was going to be using E-Z Track also,but changed my mind and am now going with Kato Unitrack.It's a little more expensive,but after doing some research found that most people prefer and recommend it over Bachmann.

5. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

Small layouts tend to look nicer with smaller cars and smaller locomotives... Personally I think your 18"-radius situation is perfect for 4-axle locomotives like Geeps and rolling stock like 40'-boxcars.

Give those a try! :thumb:
  6. timber

timber New Member

Thanks, I dont have anything set it stone yet with the layout so I dont mind bumping up the turns. I'm just wondering if I can get away with 22" minimum radius turn using a C44-9W?
  7. LongIslandTom

LongIslandTom Member

Yep. 22" curves will work with that loco. Still, get some 4-axlers. They are more "general purpose" and look better for switching jobs anyway. :D
  8. timber

timber New Member

Thanks, Yea I plan on using the 4-axles for the switching jobs. Thanks for your help! :thumb:
  9. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

24" would be better(Atlas makes a 24" radius Snap Trak in code 83).
    But I use a 26" or greater radius and use Flex Trak.
    Dang those big modern locos(And 85' heavywieghts) look good on them.
  10. timber

timber New Member

I'd love too but my layout isn't big enough. I went and picked up some 22" and it's working fine. Thanks! :thumb: