I saw some neat stuff at the train show today.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
One of the most interesting things was a train elevator.

www.ro-ro.net

It is pricey, but I remember discussing with some one on the gauge the possibility of installing an elevator system to bring trains up from a lower level staging to the main layout!

I also met the owners of this bench work company

www.martinjohnsonmfg.com

Their domino benchwork is priced at about $70.00+ shipping for a 2x4 bench with adjustable legs. I'm going to mount them to my bookshelves without the legs to make my switching layout. The price I was quoted without the legs was $40.00 for the standard 2 x 4 domino. I'll need 2 dominoes 2 x 5 for my layout, and they can build them that way for a custom application and the price is only slightly higher than the standard 2 x 4.

There was also a guy there from Colorado with some really nice pine trees for the logging guys.

www.timberlinescenery.com

Finally, for Doc Holiday, there is www.wildwestmodels.com manufacturers of old western style structures for n, ho, s, and o gauge trains.

I also saw an interesting new type of flex track.

www.CUSTMTRAX.com

I also want to hand lay all of the turnouts on my switching layout to save money and to get ore reliable operation. I have been told by a lot of people to get a jig like the one from Fast Tracks, but when I went to talk with the owners of Central Valley, they showed me their plastic tie strips, and suggested that I save the $100.00 by just using their turnout tie strips as the jig for each turnout. I can get frogs from Proto 87 to use with the Central Valley tie strips and then just pick up the rail to complete my turnouts.

www.cvmw.com

www.proto87.com

I also went by the BLMA booth and picked up a brass jig for drilling mounting holes for grab irons. The jig was only $4.00 and it give holes to line up and space any common size grab iron in use for ho scale.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
When I went back on Saturday, I found another company that I missed on Friday.

www.frenchmanriver.com

They make very nice waterline boat kits of resin. The kits are made in ho, s, and o scale. In the past we have had a number of modelers on this site building tug boats or other boats from kits that are usually 1/75th scale or 1/100th scale. This is the first time I've seen any this nice that are acurate for the three scales mentioned. They are not doing n scale, and since I model in ho I didn't ask about n. It is a small company run by a young couple, so if enough of you guys in n scale contact them, they might respond to the demand for n-scale products.