I salute the members of the Gauge

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
There just isn't a place online I'd rather be. I check it every day, evenn multiple times if I can, because the people, the projects, and the picture and writing quality are superb! :thumb: With out a little help from the guys at my local train club, and a lot of help from all you guys at the Gauge, I'd probably have no hobby, and taken up some sort of vice or something. Thanks guyus for keeping me outta trouble, answering my questions, and for fiiring my enthusiam for trains! :)

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Ah Miles, you obviously have not yet discovered that model railroading is a vice, and sometimes a very expensive one to boot :) I am also convinved that most of the time it is way too complex for my simple mind :cry:

One of the reasons my layout has bees sitting unattended for months now is that I have not yet had any sort of brainstorm about scenery. I have all the track in place except for the turntable, but I just don't seem to be able to pull the trigger on getting started with scenery. :cry: :curse:

I sure hope the light bulb comes on pretty soon sign1

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Lynn;

I have built Plan # 56 in the Linn Westcott's "101 Track Plans for Model Railroads." It is basically 6' X 12' and flat. I've got some foam board pieces I want to use to cause some elevation and separation, but again haven't decided exactly where I will use the foam. I visualize it as being effective on a couple of the corners and along parts of the inside pit. I am not into building a helix or any sort of hidden staging because of limited space (mother says NO holes in the walls), so I will run what is on rhe layout and change it with the magic crane (my hand) when I want to do something different.

I have collected a lot of rolling stock over the years, but have decided that because of the size of the layout I will run primarily 1930's and '40's stuff (40' boxcars, etc).

I have sort of decided that my only passenger service will likely be a gas electric, which I don't have yet!

I have built or traded for what I imagine will be most of all of my structures as it won't take much to cause that small a space to become very cluttered.

Other than that I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Bob

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
hmm I'll have to have a look in my book at that one. Have u thought also of taking a jigsaw to the table to cut out rivers , maybe a gorge then from below you fasten foamboard for a river base. I've always found the scenic risers help for bridges.:)

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I have thought about bridges and it is certainly a consideration. I have one bridge I could use and could get a second one easily enough. With the 2" thick foam base I used on top of oxboard, it would be very easy to "scoop" out enough foam to create a river or creek.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
I joined The Gauge at the end of January of this year. At that time, I knew absolutely nothing about model railroading. All I did know is that I wanted to learn and to somehow build a layout I could be proud of. I don't remember what lead me to The Gauge (probably Google) but Thank goodness I found It and all of you. With the help of so many of you, In a little over 5 months, collectively we have decided on a bench plan that would best utilize my space. Then a layout was designed for that bench by a Gauge member(Ocalicreek). This was no small task and took much time and effort. All of it done for someone He didn't know and hadn't even met. Next were endless questions about eras, themes, steam/diesel, foam, plywood, risers, ops, ect. All of them were answered with kindness and patience and a good deal of know-how. I never once felt people were looking down at me or snickering at my feable attempts to "model". Wiring and track work completed and tested and now scenery underway. Needless to say, I wouldn't be anywhere close to this if not for The Gauge! One last thing, thanks to everyone who keep this site going, all the moderators and CEO's. You lead by example and set the tone. Thanks everyone!

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
Bob Collins said:
I have thought about bridges and it is certainly a consideration. I have one bridge I could use and could get a second one easily enough. With the 2" thick foam base I used on top of oxboard, it would be very easy to "scoop" out enough foam to create a river or creek.
There you go now your scooping:thumb: Do you have any current pics of what things look like. I had a problem with mine that I couldn't see the scenery then I started coloring and man did things pop at me :wave:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Bob Collins said:
Ah Miles, you obviously have not yet discovered that model railroading is a vice, and sometimes a very expensive one to boot :) I am also convinved that most of the time it is way too complex for my simple mind :cry:

One of the reasons my layout has bees sitting unattended for months now is that I have not yet had any sort of brainstorm about scenery. I have all the track in place except for the turntable, but I just don't seem to be able to pull the trigger on getting started with scenery. :cry: :curse:

I sure hope the light bulb comes on pretty soon sign1

Bob,

If it is a matter of getting going on scenery you have already decided, then look at this:

http://www.ovar.ca/Articles/BatchelorDiorama/small_diorama_kick.htm

It's an article I wrote when I was having the same problem - "analysis paralysis". Once I jumped in and started to go, it really wasn't so bad...

Unless there are some real "key" scenes you want to model, just start with making trees - you can never have too many ;) If there's a special scene you do want, try to get some photos, or make some sketches, or something that will help you plan it a bit more.

But dive right in - if you don't like it, you can always start over...:rolleyes: ;) :D

Andrew