I REALLY want this loco!

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
A BR 04 Shunter in HO scale would be REALLY nice for my layout for a secret reason. Anybody know a mfg. that makes them? Oh yeah, and if it has side plates covering up the wheels and a cow catcher, it would be just sweel!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
You need to post a link for those of us who are unfamilier with the loco in question. I don't recognise the designation as anything the Santa Fe ran, so I don't have a clue what you are referring to.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Here's a pic

but I'd like the blue to be black, if possible:
hornby217.jpg

and with side plates , a cowcatcher and knuckle couplers:D for a secret reason:thumb:

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
ok, I admit it, I want a Mavis. But I always wanted a better version of my little switcher when I was 5 or somethn so it's kinda like a whim from childhood.:eek:ops: That, and I want a switcher that isn't the "Usual" type.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think I've seen something like that from AHM years ago. I may be thinking of their Plymouth switcher. I think you could easily kitbash one of those. Start with a Roundhouse 0-6-0 switcher kit. Build it without the cylinders and valve gear, just the drivers and side rods. Modify the frame to fit the AHM Plymouth switcher body. Since the Roundhouse 0-6-0 uses the tender wheels to pick up power on one side with the drivers picking up power on the other side, you would need to make a sheet brass wiper to pick up power from the drivers on the off side of the locomotive, and make an insulated mount to insulate the wipers from the locomotive frame. The other possible starting point would be if someone makes an 0-6-0 saddle tank switcher to start with for your power unit.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Russ Bellinis said:
I think I've seen something like that from AHM years ago. I may be thinking of their Plymouth switcher. I think you could easily kitbash one of those. Start with a Roundhouse 0-6-0 switcher kit. Build it without the cylinders and valve gear, just the drivers and side rods. Modify the frame to fit the AHM Plymouth switcher body. Since the Roundhouse 0-6-0 uses the tender wheels to pick up power on one side with the drivers picking up power on the other side, you would need to make a sheet brass wiper to pick up power from the drivers on the off side of the locomotive, and make an insulated mount to insulate the wipers from the locomotive frame. The other possible starting point would be if someone makes an 0-6-0 saddle tank switcher to start with for your power unit.

Is there anyway that I can just try to pass off a ready-to-run model of the closest thing? I haven't got a clue as to how to kitbash (other than what it is):eek:ops: :rolleyes:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
CNW, I think that is a Bachman engine. There may be a few rattling around the Toronto area.
Our late importer told me that they would supply him a box of 6, 2 green and 4 blue. Because of the Toronto market, he would end up with at least 3 of the blue ones left over (our English immigrants tended to be from before the blue era).

hiscopilot

Dec 27, 2006
Spring Hill, TN
Cooooooooool. Thats great information. I think I have seen one at our train shop because I remember making the comment it would be a cool Mavis, but not sure if it was exactly the same or not... maybe I can sneak by and check tomorrow.