i read and hear about all these diff, couplers, .......

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
but witch is witch? i have a bunch of the cheap 4 dollar each cars from bachman, with the square looking couplers on them , these was just to use to test my track work, and in till i can get better ones. i know alot of people change out the couplers, but what is the best ones to change them to? what kind to the better cars have?

and i have 2 lifelike E-8 engines, on the back they have the square couplers and in the front they have a tiny coupler, a nuckle coupler i think, so i cant hook any cars to the front, can i fix that?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Yes you can, you can get the knuckle couplers and switch the rapido ones out. Or you can get more rapido couplers and switch the knuckle couplers out.

I personally prefer the knuckle couplers because of the looks, more realistic and more reliable. But some people prefer not to spend the extra money and switch from rapido to knuckle's.

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
i think i like the looks of the knucke couplers as well, but did not know howreliable they were, , but i know im not to happy with the rapido ones i got. i did see some cars at my LHS yeasterday that came with both kinds put what ever ones ya want on,

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I say, if your not happy with the rapido ones, change them to knuckle couplers.

Some of the newer cars come with both knuckle and rapido for that exact reason, so you decide what goes on.:thumb: :thumb:

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
on the back they have the square couplers and in the front they have a tiny coupler, a nuckle coupler i think, so i cant hook any cars to the front
That reminds me of some steam locomotive models which have dummy knuckle couplers on the pilot. The knuckles don't actually open and cannot (at least automatically) couple to anything.

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
mine on the front dont open, but i can hook the 2 fronts of the engine togeather. but to run 2 engines on a train i have to A) put the front engine backwords, or put first engine in front and the other at the back of the train running backwards

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
TruckLover said:
You could also do three engines on a train. Lead engine is forward, second engine is backward, third engine is forward.

never thought of that, and that would be a good reason to tell the "boss" to go out and buy a 3rd engine...lol

altho i dont think my layout is big enough to need 3 engines on 1 train.... 4' x 16'...lol

im thinking 12 to 15 cars per train, anymore and it be chacing its tail. i would think

holdenburg

Dec 29, 2006
Florida
www.nettechonline.net
Tomco for passenger cars??

TruckLover said:
I say, if your not happy with the rapido ones, change them to knuckle couplers.

Some of the newer cars come with both knuckle and rapido for that exact reason, so you decide what goes on.:thumb: :thumb:
Hi all...
I am glad you touched on this!
I have finally gotten my Atlas passenger cars in. They have the stock couplers. My Lifelike engine and observation car is setup the same way, with a dummy coupler on them. I have been reading on some MT couplers and Tomco? (non magnetic) Well now I can't find the internet article regarding the non magnetic couplers that are supposed to work with passenger cars and give them a more realistic appearance.

Can anyone shed some more light on this??

Thx....

Herb