I need to VENT!

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by cgutzmer, Nov 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That sucks man. If a couple of those were neighbors that you knew they had no excuse. However those other 98 did EXACTLY what they whould have done. You dont pick up someone you dont know. Its just not safe to do that anymore.

If you see a broken down car or something maybe stop to offer help or a phone call if you got a cell but I would still be hesitant to let them in my car (yeah I had a bad experience with picking someone up once....)
  2. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

Wow, I am impressed that you have gone motorized vehicle free.

I dislike Shimano too, it used to be that you could get decent bike parts at a reasonable price... then it seems to me that Shimano pulled some tricks to dominate the market and it put Suntour out of business. Now parts are not serviceable (minor mechanical problems require major expense). :-x

Also, I think the media has scared people into not being neighborly. I think it is no more dangerous now than it ever was. Anytime there is a crime committed the media harps on it and tries to scare everyone. The news media even tries to blow the weather out of proportion and it scares people to stay inside in the winter. I used to hitchhike, but that is not possible anymore.:sad:

-Jim G
  3. cbg

cbg Member

I admire your carbon emissions-free way of life! I thought I was doing well commuting to/from work, but I now have to set my sights higher.

I apologize for my fellow humans, even though I don't know them. Your experience is not isolated, unfortunately. I think all of us can point to one or more examples of un-caring/un-sympathetic behavior.

p.s. My bias, but you know the saying: "Shimano breaks down while Campagnolo breaks in!"
  4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Chris, if that's exactly what they should have done....then this world is screwed...and I want to get off.

People want to live their lives in FEAR. This is no way to live. If you see someone in need...HELP THEM. I understand your reluctance Chris, but chalk it up to Murphy and continue being a wonderful human.

I agree with JimG, heck, I don't even watch the news or read the paper. Things are no worse than they ever were, there's just more people and MORE MEDIA to tell you about it...that is all.

Next time, lend a hand...and see how it improves Life!
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Phil,

Sorry about the bike problem, and it's true that today there is not more bad new than there has always been, in the information age we live it bad new is what gets shown and good stuff just doesn't make the ratings. Don Henley said it best!

People are afraid of helping, because in a sue happy world we now revolve in, you can and will be sued for trying to help someone. Crazy I admit, but none the less true.

I agree your neighbors should have stopped and at the very least checked to see if y'all needed help, or were just resting. You know you can't ride a bike all the time you got to get off and walk it for a break............... yeah right!

Venting is a good thing, just did it myself with a couple of guys here.......... Thanks again Russell & Barry.......... but remember you will have to live with these people and you need to go talk with them.

Let them know you were in need and they didn't help, also tell them if they see you guys walking again, just stop and check........not like it's going to make them late for brain surgery........... right!

Oh............ I too congratulate you on going car-free, very few people walk the walk (no pun intended)........... lots of them talk the talk though.

You are a man of your convictions........... these have now officially been listed on the indangered species list, sad to say.

Take care!

6. thewoodengraver

My Wife (Catherine) and I do not own a car any more. I sold my Dodge Caravan in 2004 and we bought 2 Specialized Hard Rock mountain bikes. We both needed to get back in shape. At 45, with high cholesterol, I need all the help I can get.

We also own bicycle trailers (1 Bykaboose and 1 Burley Flatbed) which we use to go shopping. The nearest supermarket is 10 miles away, and uphill all the way home. That's a 20 mile round-trip. Since each trailer carries 90lbs, it seems much further.

The day before yesterday we went shopping. We took both trailers but it was a light load that day, we each had about 30lbs.

Coming home, about a half mile into the trip, Catherine downshifted to meet the oncoming uphill slope and her derailer got jammed up into the spokes, stopping her bike. Her bike had fallen at the store but we didn't notice anything wrong.

So now, her bike will not even roll. After a few choice words and some bulging biceps, the derailer came free...but it is damaged and will not work.

I thought Shimano made quality parts? Seems like one of the brackets on the derailer is made from a Pepsi can.

Nine miles from home...we have no phone numbers to call...so we start walking...with our bicycles...with trailers attached...left thumbs out to beg for a ride.

We saw at least 100 empty pickup trucks go by. We even saw two of OUR NEIGHBORS go by in their empty trucks.

We got to walk the entire 9 miles. My feet looked the same as they did after the first week of boot-camp. Hers were bleeding.

We both pretty much hate people right now.

I would have stopped when I had my Van. I used to pick up hitch-hikers whenever I had room, and I stopped frequently for stranded motorists.

I live in the damn Death Valley! A person could DIE in about an hour without water here. (We are smart enough to carry about 2 liters of water each).

PEOPLE SUCK!!! Selfish-self centered,way too busy little *&$%#%&^%$!!!
    I can't wait until I get my X-box so I can DESTROY ALL HUMANS!!!:twisted:
    I'm done whining now...back to cardmodels.
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

You must have missed my point - I did stop to help someone - want the story? well now you get it anyway.... :p

I was in college on my way back to school from home. It was about 2 in the afternoon and I see a guy hitchhiking alongside the road carryingf a couple of huge bags. I figure might as well stop and give the guy a lift. I do so, it starts out ok - small talk and all. about 10 minutes into the ride (I had about 30 minutes til I was where I needed to go) he asks me for a place to stay which I politely decline (my suspicions go up) a few minutes later he asks me for money. Keep in mind I am a college student driving a car that barely makes it home when I want to go and I got my navy seabag tossed inthe back. its obvious I am not affluent. I tell him I happy to give him a lift as far as I am going but I cant really do more than that (I had about 2 bucks with me) he starts getting beligerent and pushy. I politely let him know that I cant really help him but will take him as far as Platteville (the college town) he shuts up for a bit then goes back to insisting I give him some money. We are just getting to town at this point and he has this angry look on his face like its my RESPONSIBILITY to give this guy I picked up whatever cash I could. he starts to raise his voice knowing full well we are in town and he is just about out of time. Luckily I had lived there for close to 4 years at this point and new lots of people. I purposely head downtown knowing I got lots of buddies that hang out down there and a coupel freinds have houses there living with other friends. About 5 of my buddies are sitting on their porch drinking a few and lauching it up and I stop abruptly in front of their house and ask the guy to get out as its the end of the line. He refuses and reaches in his pocket (no idea what it was and will never know) I get out and call to my friends who all start approaching. The guys sees whats happening grabs his stuff and walks off. Knife, gun, a pice of gum (doubt that given the number of teeth he had) I will never know - if my friends hadnt been around what might have happened?

If I see someone I know damn right I will stop. Driving down the interstate I see a car broken down with a family in it - damn right I will stop. A single guy in it - prolly wont he can walk his butt to the exit or wait for a cop to come by.

Dont even try to tell me that I MUST stop for anyone alongside the road that wants a ride just because I am a human being. It is not your call or anyone elses to tell me that its my responsibilty to stop for someone I dont know. I have three priorities in my life. Anne, Charlotte and Elliot. Nothing more, I would never do anything to endanger them under any circumstnce I could have prevented.

I am done now.
  8. Kaz

Kaz Member

I sympathise with you. If its any consolation to you I had a 5 mile hike when my Trek deraileur (Shimano XT) bent, taking with it the rear wheel stay. Ever since then I have used a breakaway bolt to hold the deraileur in place, any extra pressure snaps the bolt and the spare one I carry goes in within minutes.
  9. thewoodengraver

What is wrong with this thread? All the posts are out of order...(murphy must LOVE me).

Chris, I think you may have misunderstood too. Your only responsibility are your Wife and children. I was venting...I love you man...can we drop it?

BTW...gnarley story, I'm grateful it didn't turn for the worse. I could tell you stories that would make you throw-up. But that would discount this thread and my point.

Wanna hear something POSITIVE???

Nine miles we walked...but we MADE IT!!!
    We no longer hate people today. Back to loving again. I apologize if anything I said upset anybody.
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

yeah defintely order issues - I love you too man - I was venting back ;)
  11. hpept

hpept Member

Hi folks,
    this makes us think. You're exactly right Chris. I have a fresh episode to confir it. This morning, minutes after waking up, i heard a BANG! caming from outside. Since i live in a very noisy point, i didn't pay too much attention. Half an hour later, my father in law came in saying that a guy was shot down on the pavement right below the building i live after a car robbery. The thieves shot him but fortunately the bullet didn't hit him: they spanked him anyway leaving him senseless on the ground. The poor guy was there, moaning, but no one dared to go to help him, knowing that the delinquents were probably still around trying to steal someone else.
    This place (nut i think every big city) is very dangerous, i can count three different assaults in the last week in a 100m radius from my building: two women and a man stolen. Another one went to the pharmacy to buy medicine and was kidnapped: he had no money with him, no credit card, only the money to buy the medicine. The kidnappers drove him out of the city with his car up to a sugar cane plantation, then closed the man in the baggage and set on fire the car. He survived because was able to break the door, but suffered serious burns.
    If people don't help, maybe have their own reasons to do so. Unfortunately that's the way world rolls nowadays.
  12. keith

keith Member

This thread is a bit scwiffy!! but then again i'm getting emails from 2003 ?

Could i make a practicle suggestion, either have 2 split links in the chain that lets you bypass the derailer, or carry a spare short chain that bypasses the derailer.

People?, a friend once tried to sell a car, 2 men showed up to buy it, who took it for a test drive with him in it, which then turned into a joyride!!!!
  13. thewoodengraver

Keith, I think I love you too! That was an AWESOME suggestion!
    Thank you!!!:grin:

If I could wave my Magic Wand, I'd make everything allright. Bless you all.

My lesson from all of this;
    We didn't need any help. We are capable.

If I see someone in need, will I stop to help?
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Pluse one more lesson - If you are pulling two wagons behind your bikes throw in a pair of good walking shoes - there is plenty of room! ;) heh heh sorry couldnt resist!
  15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Cruel Chris.................. Cruel!:grin: :grin:

A pair of bikes.........lots of money
    Two trailer........... even more money............
    Walking shoes.......still more money.............
    Finding out that you really are self-sufficient........ price-less.......

:grin: Knowing that no matter what fate or Murphy tosses in your path you can handle it is a very good feeling!:grin:

16. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

I suppose the best thing about looking like I do is there's ALWAYS a law enforcement officer handy to investigate me :twisted:

Conversely, when I stop to assist others they are a bit put off at first.

Hasn't stopped me yet.

We simply do as we feel we should.
  17. thewoodengraver

Rick, are you saying I should add long hair and tattoos to my survival gear? lol

John, 100% Thank you!...God bless the child who's got his own...

Chris, the walking shoes go on your feet! What good will they do in the trailer?
  18. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

Can't hurt....:grin: Then again I have had to give up running through the airport.....
  19. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

How about a cell phone to call those neighbors for a ride (or other things unmeantionable) :p

Getter 1
  20. thewoodengraver

I don't like cell phones, but we do have CB...lots of truckers go by...if we were in OBVIOUS danger, one of them would have stopped.

Our neighbors are few and far between, and those we have met are all addicted to something gross and are not worth calling.

Unmentionables? Don't worry, I'm a EXTREME survivor.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.