I need to purchase Stewart Hobbies and more...

... and I could use some thoughts on these HO products from anyone with experience;
First, I am looking at getting some Stewart Hobbies 70-Ton 14 panel hoppers. The D&M ones I want say (Friction Bearing) other roads say (Roller Bearing)?
Second, I am interested in a Bowser N-5 Caboose.
As an builder of Athearn cheapo kits.... what might I find different, like or dislike, about these choices?
-------------------------------------------
Finally,
I can get a P2K E8A with DCC and Sound for 99 bucks? I'm used to Atlas quality, this seems like a great deal.... do these run well and sound good?

Thanks so much for helping me out!

oldtanker

I had a P2K engine, not that one....I really liked it, it was just too big for my layout. For 99 dollars you should get it.

Rick

doctorwayne

I think that those 14 panel cars are the same ones that used to be sold by McKean. They also made a 12 panel version. If so, they're very simple cars to build, although I think that the brake components may be separate pieces. Very similar in complexity to Athearn. Friction bearing/roller bearing simply refers to the style of truck. Hoppers were usually among the last cars to receive roller bearings, so friction bearings would probably be good well into the '60s. Many cars that were converted to roller bearings didn't get new trucks: the friction bearings were swapped out, with the only visual evidence of roller bearings being that the journal box covers were removed. If the D&M cars don't have the truck style that you want, most popular brands of replacement trucks will fit these cars. I'm not familiar with the caboose model, but I do have quite a few hoppers and covered hoppers from Bowser, and am impressed by their detail. A few more parts than Athearn, but nothing difficult.

Wayne

ezdays

Out AZ way
Wow, when I read the title of this thread, there for a minute I thought you were acting like some of these big conglomerates by going on a buying spree and buying up hobby shops...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: First Stewart's Hobbies, then Standard Hobbies, and why not Walther's for only another 100 mill or so more...sign1 sign1