I need some help

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The only way to get a longer run I think would be to loop around on the 4x8 section. But I am not sure it could be done as a double main; you might have to go to a single track to get the curves in.

Andrew

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
I thought it was a Timesaver at first, too, but it's just slightly different. As far as being useful for switching, I suppose that's up to the guy that'll be using it. If he's not in to switching puzzles and games as he states then that double switchback in there would probably infuriate him more than it would entertain.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Guys don't get me wrong, I love the trains, there has to be some switching to make it interesting for us older folks, and there has to be some scenery too. If it was just scenery I'd landscape my yard, LOL. I do want it to be more than a few buildings and track.

Thanks for the input and the track planning. Anything else that you may come up will be a big help.

Rick

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
You are right, Triplex. That lower section was inspired by a time saver.

Rick, you could come to enjoy the challenge of a time saver and it could give you hours of enjoyment. Find out more about them. It's a strategy game played with trains.

Brian, the upper yard is there to sort out trains and cars. I just like the challenge of designing a yard that is full function as opposed to a staging area. I feel a run-a-round track is a must as well as the most tracks you can squeeze in. Just my preferences though. I'm sure Rick will choose what is best for him. I just wanted to show him what cold be done.

TC

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
TC i would love to try it but I'm not sure I want to spend money on something that I may not be interested in for the long run. If I could find a club or something within a reasonable drive I would check it out.

Rick

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Rick,

You might be able to find a "virtual timesaver" on line with a google search (or maybe someone here has a link). 'Course, given your attitude towards your computer right now, one of you may not survive... ;) :D

Andrew

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Andrew I get along with my puter just fine...untill I try running one of the track design programs. I can fix my puter, solve most software issues but don't have the patience for the learning curve on cad programs:curse:

Rick

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I can fix my puter, solve most software issues but don't have the patience for the learning curve on cad programs
I had never touched a CAD program before, and had to start learning. The project I chose was not a simple "box", I chose a waterline drawing of a cabin cruiser......compound curves and all! Because the drawing would become a kit, and I would be building the first version, I had incentive to learn even when it got really tough and confusing. Sometimes it's what waits around the bend, that makes the learning curve worth going around.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Sumpter, you went and got me excited with your link...Lake Country Model RR...wrong lake country...I live in the "Heart Of the Lakes" area in west MN.sign1

I guess I'll have to try again. I know they can make better programs than that. That I think is what frustrates me so much about them, but then again some are free.:thumb:

Rick

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Have you gotten a plan that you're happy with yet or do you still want me to do some further doodling for you?

grandpacoyote

Aug 8, 2005
Denton, Texas
mysite.verizon.net
Rick,

Hello Sir,

I am hardly a track planner of any merit but I threw this together and thought I'd put it up and see if it interests you at all. It is a very rough first layout of a plan but I put down your measurements and walls and then laid out what track I could that seemed to meet your desires... I am sure others could do a -much- better job than this old dog, but here it is ...

OldTanker.jpg

I've put in one passing siding and think I have the leads set right for right handed running...

The bottom portion (your 8x4 area) would be the town.. the gravel company would be in the upper left hand corner and the lead after that would be running off to the Military area (proving grounds what have you)

Like I said I'm by no means any kind of expert on this just thought I'd toss out something and see if it helped in anyway.. hope it does.

Peace.
Coyote

grandpacoyote

Aug 8, 2005
Denton, Texas
mysite.verizon.net
Rick,

I tossed down some roads and vague building shapes just to give a better impression of the plan... none of the buildings has been measured or thought out too much, I just checked their track clearance ... I put this together because I usually understand or "get" plans better i I can see the various structures, roads etc that are associated with them.. again hope this is of any use to you at all. :)

OldTanker_533859.jpg

Peace.

Coyote

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Coyote, that looks like a very good plan! Now to throw a monkey wrench into it. Looking at the basic bench work that is already built I'm going to be adding and 18"x6' extension to the top left as you look at the plan. I think I could use that as an industrial spur, a rail yard or just a staging area.

We have been very busy the last couple of days with other things so I haven't done much. I'm on the way out of here I a bit to Fargo ND (which means I get to stop by the hobby shop!) but will try to get foot print measurements and photos of the few building that I have already.

Rick

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Coyote...

Nice to see you back! Great drawings as usual. The only thing with that plan is that there is no connection from the inner loop to the outer...

With Rick's proposed extension to the top left, I would suggest that a wye be worked in so the trains can be reversed if needed.

Andrew