I need some help please!!

andywyeth07

Aug 8, 2006
Mt. Gilead Ohio
I'm finally getting around to starting a model railroad. I have the tables set up down in my basement w/ alot of track and trains but no ideas. Ive picked a layout out of one of the atlas railroad books but i really dont like it. does anyone have any ideas for me.. I want to have some different elevations and a train yard. I have 3 tables. two 4'x8' and a 4'x6'. please leave me any ideas you want to.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
:wave: Hi Andy and Welcome to the Gauge.

First what scale are you doing?

Second, you have plenty of for a nice size layout. I would suggest making an L-Shape out of the tables with a 45 degree peice where they goin at the L

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome to The Gauge, Andy:wave:

That's a lot of layout to start with. My suggestion would be to start on a 4x8 with a good Atlas plan, adding or modifying a spur in one direction to join to the others in the future as skill, time and resources grow. Finish it, then ponder the next move, you'll have a complete layout and you won't have burned yourself out in the process.:thumb:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
If you want diffeant elevations, you will need to get the pink or blue extruded foam insulation board from home depot or lowes. But if you live in CA. it is going to be tough to find it anywhere.

The stuff comes in 4' x 8' sheets and various thicknesses. Also check out woodland scenics for scenic material and foam track risers and much more things to get you started. Web sitte: http://www.woodlandscenics.com/

What era do you plan to model?

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
:wave: welcome to the gauge :wave:being new to model railroading i would caution you on trying to build a large layout the first time . You might think about srarting with just one 4 by 8 table then by leave the track plan open for expansion you can then add the other tables as your skills become honed .

andywyeth07

Aug 8, 2006
Mt. Gilead Ohio
and i dont live in CA. I live in Oh and that stuff is really easy to get! There is so much of it at lowes and homedepot

Has anyone used the "Open Grid Construction" shown in the Atlas HO Layout book? and if so what are your thoughts on it?

L

lester perry

I am not familiar with the Atlas book but if the open grid is a framework of 1x4s with cut plywood on top with risers I am very familiar with it. That is the way my layout is. If this is your first layout don't go that route. Start with simple plywood base and experiment. Have some fun. If you want elevations there are many ways to do it depending on your experience in building stuff and the tools available. Also you might want to check out some of the stuff in the Photography part of this website. Try this one
paperclip.gif
subscribed.gif
What do you have (
multipage.gif
1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) It has a lot of different layouts on it from the very elaborate to the very simple. Most important thing is to have fun and be flexible. Don't be afraid to start over again.
Les

andywyeth07

Aug 8, 2006
Mt. Gilead Ohio
thats alot for the link les..
This is our second model railroad that we are going to make.. we made one in florida when we lived there but had to leave it when we left. it was a 4'x8'.

This is the layout that my dad and I have plans on doing,, but i'm still looking for new ones..
if we go w/ this on i'm going to make the yard at the bottom bigger

does anyone know of a good website where i can find some good layouts and kinda challanging to make,, but nothing to hard??

Attachments

• our layout.jpg
    our layout.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 169

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks Andy.:)

I no you will probly want it wider cause mine is in my room and well I have to live in there so I couldn't go much bigger. Mine is only 2.5' wide and yours will be 4'.

All my structures are from Walthers and the Hotel under Construction is from Kibri. Most of the Trucks construction equipment are boley, norscot, herpa/Promotex, trucks n' stuff, a-line, walthers, and kibri.

Check out my Steel mill thread, I plan to put in the big open space on my new layout. http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=21262

You will have plenty of room for a cool layout with tons of heavy industrial buildings. You almost have double the space of my new layout!!!:cry: :cry:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
andywyeth07 said:
i want to run locomotives, railroad cars and have a steel mill and construction stuff and maybe even an oil plant, concrete plant and stuff like that..

well yeah, but what locomotives? what railroad cars? what time period? what area and Railroad?

Its important to know this. that way, we can figure out how big things need to be to fit your equipment, and its good to know what you want so that you don't buy something you don't need.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Andy,

It is and isn't important to know what you are running. On one extreme, you can go totally freelance and do whatever you like - Middle Earth Central meets Moon-monorail rock processing plant ;) :D.

But most modellers try to fashion something based at least in part on what really existed/exists today. Once that is finalized, or at least narrowed down, you can also decide era (timeframe) and location. This will help you decide on what industries you might want to include. Some modellers do this the other way - what industries are you interested in, and what railways interact with them? In any case, it does help most people to be somewhat focussed.

Try looking at the "Givens & Druthers" link in my signature. This is a series of questions that John Armstrong (prominent modeller some years ago :)) used to help develop model railroads he was planning. The additional questions we have posed below in that thread also help you to think about your approach to the hobby - such as are you a serious detail modeller, or do you just like to run trains? Are you happy with minimal scenery, or do you want mountains floor to ceiling.

Give it a read - I hope it will help. If you think it is too serious, then go back to my first paragraph...! ;)

Andrew

PS - In my case, I decided to model the 1920s and 1930s (I like steamers much more than diesels). I chose southern Ontario (my place of origin). I am building my layout in modules, so that I can operate with the local modular group. I enjoy the model building part as much as running trains. I also enjoy the research/history side of the hobby as much as the models (another reason to choose 1920s and 30s).

andywyeth07

Aug 8, 2006
Mt. Gilead Ohio
Thanks MasonJar for the link!

Trucklove thanks for all the different places you bought your stuff these will come in handy when i'm ready to buy that kind of stuff!

what i'm looking to run is CSX diesel locomotives and railroad cars b/c thats really all I see around ohio and i really like the looks of them.. lol.. I think i'm going to model the 1990's to the early 2000's. I really want to make realistic senery.

does anyone have any pictures of the yard located near Sandusky, OH and Latrobe, PA? Ive searched it on google maps and for some reason it wont let me zoom in on it close enough