I need paint colors for my layout

empireemt

Jan 26, 2006
I need Help!! I'm very color blind. I need paint colors that I can buy at Lowes, Home Depot or Sherwin Williams that I can use for sky, clouds and an earth base for my table top.

Thanks,
Brian

N

nachoman

while I can't help you with colors too much, I can say whatever colors you use canlook considerably different depending upon what lighting you use and whether you want the colors to look best in photographs or in person.

kevin

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Your best bet is to take someone with you and pick from the vast array of colors they can mix. They will not have pre-mixed in the colors you will want. Normally sky can be from a light blue to almost white, but can range from a purple to reds and oranges. Like Kevin says, the choice depends on the lighting you use and even the effect you're trying to achieve. The color of dirt will vary as well dependent on the area your trying to model.

When I did my backdrop, I started with a light blue and kept mixing white into it as I got closer to the horizon. I can't say I did a great job, and will probably paint over it someday, so I'm not the best one to give you advice on that aspect.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
For sky and clouds, you would want a paint mixed to a specific color. Also keep a record of the color you get for the blue, because you will need to match it if you ever have to do touch up on your sky. For dirt, you can use almost any brown. You might check with Home Depot, Lowes, or a paint store and see if they have something in the returned pile that will work for cheap. Really all you want the dirt color for is to keep from having white plaster show through if scenery materials are chipped. Most of your scenery color will come from the materials you use for texture as a scenery base.