I need help

guppyman

Dec 6, 2001
League City TX
www.railimages.com
My girlfriend got me a new enginge for Christmas... She tried so hard to get it just right BUT....

It is a Bachman Spectrum F7 A&B unit (both powered). When I stuck it on the track yesterday.... This thing is LOUD... also it creaps around the track...

She was very dissapointed with it's performance and already wants me to take it back. I hate to do that... she tried so hard, but It is not at all what I was looking for anyways... Anyone have experience with this loco? Will the noise run itself out, or did I end up with junk here? If it will smooth out... I'll probably keep it and run it for her...

C

Catt

It is probly running about as good as it ever will.I would do like she asked and return it for another brand.

Tell her not to feel bad cause she isn't the first one to do this.At least she got you train stuff.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Hi Guppyman,
I've had the A unit for about three years (not run it much).
Mine is slow too. I test my locos using a 9 volt battery from time to time. I thought something was binding in the gear trains and dismantled it several times, also lubed it.

I feared the motor would burn out but then I got an amometer and found at 9 volts it only draws 1/4 amp. This is normal current for an N loco. I'm happy with that because at 12 volts it will run at a reasonable speed, it's just a helluva low gearing on this puppy.

It's not the quietest loco I have but the Atlas oil I used improved in slightly.

Overall, if you aren't totally happy with it, take it back for another maker's product. Tell your girlfriend not to worry too much, her thoughts were there and she did her best for you.

Half the trouble these days with buying products is knowing what questions to ask of the vendor.

Errol

Guppyman,

I was working full time in a hobby store when those units were released by Bachmann. I remember testing ALL the units in our shipment to see if ANY of them would get above a crawl. They were all S-L-O-W runners (and noisy).

Shell out the extra dollars and buy a Kato. You won't regret it. The mechanism leaves Bachmann for dead.

Gavin

guppyman

Dec 6, 2001
League City TX
www.railimages.com
I wrote the Bach-man about it.....

"Date: 12-26-02 21:32

Dear guppyman,
Your locomotive should quiet down considerably and you break them in. They are geared for lower speeds.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man"

So I guess they are designed to sputter at a crawl around the track. Can't wait till tomorrow so I can go trade it in.....

WM-N-fan

Jan 27, 2002
Hagerstown Md.
I have an A unit I've had for a good 8 years. At first it was ok, but load and jerky. Now all it does is make noises on the track. I've taken it apart and still got the same results. It is junk and it's the lone reason I have a new industry- A locomotive scrap shop.

WM-N-fan

Jan 27, 2002
Hagerstown Md.
If I wqere you I would return it for what? the $100 she payed and order from M.B. Klein's in Baltimore. Call 1-410-539-6207.
If that doesn't work just use 4-1-1. For that $100 she payed you can get a Conrail KATO SD-80MAC and a ATLAS SD-50 (first release) It is a great deal abd I recomment them. You can get virtually any loco for $60 and some for less.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Horse Hockey!!!

Originally posted by guppyman
I wrote the Bach-man about it.....

"Date: 12-26-02 21:32

Dear guppyman,
Your locomotive should quiet down considerably and you break them in. They are geared for lower speeds.
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man"

Shame on you Bach-man....you who are the "king of model railroads"...you ought to know better than that!...Trying to get one over on one of your "subjects" huh?....I've said it before and I'll say it again..."Gears do not wear in...they only wear out!"
:D :p :D :p :D :p :D :p