I need help running a model train program at a summer camp.

Somewhere out there is a person for whom I have a dream job, but I have no idea where to find them...

I'm looking for someone to start up a model train program at a summer camp, and hopefully come back and run it every summer... I've got a huge space, 30'x40', I've got a budget, I've got a construction crew, and I can support the program from my art, stagecraft, and props departments... what I need is someone (or multiple someones) who can set up track layouts, connect and maintain the electronics, build environment and scenery, and teach children (7-17) all about any/all of the above.

Other than working within our overall philosophy as far as taking care of children, and our existing program structure, the person or persons I'm looking for would have a great degree of leeway in setting up a program however they like... i envision the youngest kids just coming in and playing, perhaps with a simpler track layout set up just for them... and some higher level modeling/ construction classes for kids with higher levels of skill/interest.

I can offer room and board, a salary, transportation assistance, i can even accommodate a family member.

The camp is located in upstate NY, you can see more about it at Summer Camp at French Woods. Performing arts, circus, dance, music, theater, sports, magic and more.

If anyone is interested, or can direct me to such a person, please contact me.

Michael

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Oh man! Where were you when I was a kid living in Saugerites in the 60s and 70s! :) Sounds great! Good luck!
Ralph

in the womb ;-)

I don't know of any such program anywhere else, either, but our owner wants it to happen, and I suspect it will be very popular with the kids at camp if I can get it off the ground...

Michael

nicknaylo

It was a great program back in the early 80's when I taught model rocketry there. One whole room of the old arts and crafts building, L shaped room that allowed for building the mountains up the walls. Great place to work. Very supportive administration. As long as the kids were happy, you were doing a good job.

Michael-former French Woods Counselor 82-85 MB1

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Michael,

You might try the National Model Railroad Association (nmra.org). They have a list of "ambassadors" and other resources that might be of help to you. At the very least, they may be able to direct you to some local chapters of the organization to help narrow your search a bit!

Andrew

Hey Michael... we tore down the old lower arts and crafts building and built a new costume shop there, so the old costume shop space is where we're talking about putting the model railroad program... also built a new wing for arts and crafts, it's U shaped instead of L shaped now...

Andrew-- thanks for the NMRA suggestion... I've already been in touch with them, but it hasn't generated anyone for me yet... I'm not fussed about geographic location, I've got staff from as far away as California, not to mention australia, new zealand, etc... the right person could come from just about anywhere, as long as they can be available between june and september.