I need an idea for pipe.

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Gil Finn, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I need some sections of pipe for my Walthers fueling rack and kit bashed tank shed.

Any suggestions?

Think I can buy some at a hobby shop?

Any tricks to use?

What in around the house that will work. I want a few rusty discards on the display.
  2. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

How about some 14 or 12 gauge wire from home depot for house wireing. It comes in white and black and can be bent in any shape and stay there . Just a thought
  3. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

They may be too short for what you want, but coffee stirrers and some straws are small.

4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Evergreen sells styrene rod and tube in various diameters, Gil, and I think that Plastruct also sells pipe, along with flanges and fittings, like tees, angles, and valves. If you need some hose, either coiled or laying around in a random shape, try using cooked spaghetti: coil or otherwise arrange it in the shape that you want, (hold the sauce) let it dry, and then paint it a suitable hose colour.

5. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

doc, your talking food again lol
  6. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

But i will be cooking a turkey this thanksgiving and may need some advice on cooking with the truck battery lol
  7. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Well. I think that you'll need either a really small turkey or a really big battery. :D :D My suggestion would be to get a plug-in turkey: house current is so much neater, and no cables to fuss with, either. :D

8. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

9. jaytee

jaytee New Member

What about welding/brazing rod?
  10. Torpedo

Torpedo Member

You can use bare solid copper wire, either purchased that way. or insulated solid wire with its insulation stripped off.

You can make it perfectly straight, stronger, and more resistant to bending by work hardening it. The technique is simple. Take one end of the bare wire and fasten it to a stationary object. You can chuck it in the vice, or simply twist it around the door knob of a closed door. Take the other end and chuck it in a variable speed drill motor.

Twist the wire with the drill motor until it is nice and straight and all the kinks and bumps are gone. Presto, straight 'pipe' that is perfect for modelling purposes.
  11. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I bought my wife a capacitive dischage thing to start a dead battery with, or rather an engine with a dead battery. ( she is a contractor with a fleet of vans , 3, hence the odd gift.)

That would nuke a butterball clear thru and leave enough amps for the yams.

Those are som intersting ideas. Many thanks
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Since you did not specify the scale size or purpose:

Paper clip wire, standard household electrical wire (copper or aluminum), plain solder (makes excellent hoses), larger gauge electrical wire and finally, soda straws and cooked spaghetti.

Various Plastruct rods can also be used; however, care must be exercised in making curves without distorting the corners.
  13. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

Ditto to the above.
  14. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

I agree, but i am particular to the copper wire .. Then you could solder other size "pipes " off of a main line..
  15. zedob

zedob Member

Plastic sprues are a good supply for "tees" and 90 degree "elbows". Unless you go with comercially available like Plastructs stuff, you'll probably end up using a bit of everyones suggestions.
  16. jasbourre

jasbourre Member

I agree with zedob, the plastic spures from the modeling kit.
  17. EngineerKyle

EngineerKyle Member

A cornerstone piping kit is all you'll ever need. I found the smaller diameter drinking straws fit perfectly around the elbos and such, making some nice fittings. This would be big pipes.
  18. HOtrainman

HOtrainman Member

just a suggestion for another project- might be able to use for the pipe on the ground- I used a ball-point pen- take out the insides- cap, end cap, ink.

19. stripes

stripes Member

How about cutting a metel coat hanger to the size you need?