I need advise RE: Scenic Divider

Kim Paynter

Dec 30, 2004
Edson AB Canada
Can Anyone sugest a program I could download (for free of course) that will allow me to stretch a picture to make it long enough to use as a 5 foot scenic divider?

Thanks

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Is the scenery you want to use near your home? I'm asking, because the easiest way might be to go to the location for the picture and take a series of pictures to make up a panorama. If done digitally, you could probably have them photoshopped together to make one long picture. I just thought of something else. Do you have a professional camera shop nearby? If you do, they might be able to do some special processing for you to make your picture into a backdrop.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Kim,

You can take most any photo editing program and stretch a photo, but I would think that five foot is beyond their scope. Besides, if you could, it would be so pixilated that there would be no detail unless the picture was taken at a very high resolution. As Russ suggests, you might have to take several pictures and stitch them together.

One question, how are you going to print the picture?

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
I'm not sure 5 foot is possible from a single picture. To have a decent looking print you need at least 150dpi, so a 5x2 would be at least = 9000x3600, so as already suggested you should probably take several photos and stitch them together. A hint when taking panoramas (some one told me, I didn't think of it myself) is to take the pictures vertical, yes it requires more pictures to cover the same width, but once stitched together, you will have a higher resolution panorama, which you will need if you are going to print your own background.

I have another question, where can you take an image like this and have it printed in 1x5, Kinko maybe ?

(edit) I just noticed Ezday asked the same question :)

Jesper

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Kim Paynter said:
Can Anyone sugest a program I could download (for free of course) that will allow me to stretch a picture to make it long enough to use as a 5 foot scenic divider?

Thanks
Kim - it ain't free (tho' the price at $16 shouldn't put you off) but this might do what you want - I reckon the pixellation will be hellacious though. I've used it to make multi photo stretches though.
http://www.cadkas.de/downengprint.htm
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands