I love this picture

LoudMusic

I think that's multiple shots. You can see the light streaks from the buildings show a little bit of camera jitter, but the locomotive is sharp. He probably took the first one from the front of the loco with a long shutter time and a second one from the cab with a short shutter.

msowsun

I think it is quite possible that it is only a single photo. According to the "imbedded" digital information, it was an 8 second exposure. If the camera was securely monted to the loco, or on a good tripod, the loco would be in sharp focus and the streaks would be caused by the movement of the loco.

Copyrighted image deleted
Please, only link to copyrighted images unless you have specific permission to copy them, or you own the image.

BKlein

LoudMusic said:
I think that's multiple shots. You can see the light streaks from the buildings show a little bit of camera jitter, but the locomotive is sharp. He probably took the first one from the front of the loco with a long shutter time and a second one from the cab with a short shutter.

No if the camera was mounted to the cab with a tripod or something thats the way it would look what ever the camera is mounted to wont move. It would be like mounting the camera to the hood of a car opening the shutter and turning a corner the car would be still but the surrounding would be blurred. Its a neat trick and a great picture

nanosphoto

Sorry to revive a quite old thread, but as the guy who took the picture, I can fill you in on all the details. :D

First off, thanks for the kind words on the shot! Glad you're enjoying it.

If I remember correctly, the shot was taken just after the train left the State Street station heading west to New Haven Union Station. This was on Shore Line East, so the train terminated at Union Station and turned back for Old Saybrook. At this point we were doing about 20 MPH. It is one 8 second frame, and was taken on a tripod. But the key was I also had my hand on the camera giving some downward force to dampen out the movement & vibration from the locomotive to keep the handrails, nose & deck sharp. Here's a couple similar shots:

Shore Line East in New Haven again, but this time heading east, so the shot is out of the cab control car.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=182418

And from the cab of Connecticut Southern Railroad train CSO-1 working in West Springfield, MA. The train on the other track (a westbound CSX freight) is going away from us at about 10 MPH, and we're shoving east at about 5 MPH.
http://www.nanosphoto.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-761

Thanks!
Tom

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
WOW Tom, you take some BEAUTIFUL and AWESOME shots!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

BTW, welcome to the Gauge :wave: :wave: :wave: