I like them tiny

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by treestoart, Oct 26, 2005.

1. treestoart

treestoart Guest

I like to build the smallest paper models I can find, being a Micromodels fan. Does anyone out there share my interest? I have this one pic right now but will post more as soon as I can. If you have seen free tiny paper models online or have some to share with me, or have a request for a build, please let me know.

Currently building Mayflower from Six Little Ships and Galleons (Micromodels)

Attached Files:

• tiny.jpg
      File size:
      21.6 KB
  2. Texman

Texman Guest

Alrighty then, I too share the OMG* scale virus. I build mostly aircraft
    in 1/144, with a few forays into the large scale world of 1/100. I have
    also started working on some 1/87 armor kits.

I would like to post some pics for you, could you tell me how you
    got your picture into your post without it turning into a link, or
    having to upload it to a third party and then linking it in?

Have a good one

* Oh My God
  3. treestoart

treestoart Guest

below the message window are additional options, click on manage attachments and upload your photo
  4. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Hi, Phil.
    While not necessarily as small a scale as you and Ray have built, I am definitely leaning toward that. I have a few Micromodels which, after my Constitution is finished, I'd like to build. There is something that really intrigues me about working in the smaller scales...I tend to build in 1/400 when building ships, rather than the usual 1/200 or 1/250 (Constitution is one exception at 1/250 scale, but there's a lot of small work that keeps me busy)...heck, I loved building that Arleigh Burke designed by Yuki Yuji in 1/700 scale. It must be the challenge of making them small, I suppose, that is so attractive, at least to me. I'd love to see more of your micro models when you get a chance...you too, Ray! I just love your planes, it just facinates me to see such a little gem, so well done and made of paper on top of it all!

5. Alejandr0

Alejandr0 New Member

I happen to like them tiny too.
    I'm fairly new to this forum never really posted before but I like to add that I am too a "tiny guy" I personally like to take normal 1:33 and reduce it to 1:100 and even 1:200 some of my friends think i'm crazy but i just love to see the finish product, fully detailed, and so small it fits in my hand. Below is an example of my current project halinski's hind 24 in 1:100 next in line is a p-38
    and a mig 3 in 1:200 scale, hopefully I'll post more pictures soon.

Attached Files:

6. treestoart

treestoart Guest

Thanks for your post Jim,

I have just about finished with the Mayflower from Micromodels/Modelcraft set A_i Romance of sail. All I have left to do is the rigging. I am posting a pic in the Ships forum. I hope you check it out.

Hello AlejandrO,
    Keep up the good work my friend and welcome to the forum, I hope to see more pics of your model.
  7. SteveM

SteveM Member

Here is my Micromodels Houses of Parliament

Attached Files:

8. treestoart

treestoart Guest

OMG that's AWESOME!!! How the heck did you figure out where all the parts go?
    I was impressed I could figure out the Mayflower! (pic posted in the ships forum)
  9. SteveM

SteveM Member

a few more tinies:

Attached Files:

10. treestoart

treestoart Guest

That's what I'm talking about !!!
    Thank you Steve!
  11. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

Is there any special process to metamorph these tiny beauties from the "behemoth" they were before? I mean printing, etc...? Any hint is appreciated.

12. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Wow, Steve, now that's the type of stuff I love to see!
    If I'm not mistaken, you print out the reduced sized templates on normal bond paper, right? If you could, refresh my recollection on that and whether there is anything else you do when tackling these small fellows.

Here's my little Sikorsky from the Yuki Yuji USS Arleigh Burke model:

13. treestoart

treestoart Guest

I personally, have this insane need to scale down any model I can to fit all the parts on a business card. I use the same cardstock as I use for other models,110#. I like this heavy cardstock because it doesn't "melt" when gluing and it has better structural integrity.There's no special process, just print them as small as you think it is possible (for you)to build.
  14. Texman

Texman Guest

And here a few of the 1/144 ones I have done. They were in the old
    gallery, so most have seen them before. The Aviatek Berg was actually
    a build thread I did.
    I do have some more if the galleries ever start back up.

--Jim, how did you enlarge that hand? It's so seamless!

15. treestoart

treestoart Guest

Hey texman,
    thanx for those, I think I saw those on fiddlers green's WSAM (worlds smallest air museum).
    Click the link WSAM on the right.
    forgive me if I'm mistaken

Pleeeeeze tell me how to get that dragon.
  16. SteveM

SteveM Member

Reduced scan of the firedragon from the book:
    Dragon Mobiles: A Collection of Dragon Mobiles to Cut Out and Glue Together (Tarquin Make Mobiles Series) (Paperback)
    by Anne Wild

reduced to the the size of a postage stamp

Here it is on Amazon:

Yes the very smallest, like the dragon, redbaron and tank, were printed on normal 24# bond and very small dots of glue, tweezers, magnifying glass and patience.

I have many others that were printed at 50% (4 pages per sheet), those are just on the same card stock as 100% size (60-110lb).

Attached Files:

17. treestoart

treestoart Guest

a p-p-postage stamp???
    (where did I put that "drink me" potion???)lol

for the forgetful and young, "drink me" is a reference to Alice in wonderland, where she finds a bottle that says "drink me", she drinks it, and shrinks down to the size of a mouse.
  18. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Hm so how small does it have to be to be consider micro. I haven't thought much about scale in numbers. I like a size that fits in my hand. I like it large enough that I can work comfortably but small enough to reduce unnecessary detail.
    I think I've shown an earlier verson of this but it might be small enough to count as micro.

Attached Files:

19. Texman

Texman Guest

Naw, you haven't seen these of FG's site. The only thing they have posted
    up so far is a 1/144 Tbird F-100 I did in red river silver. And the Aviatek is
    one of Marek's 1/50 kits, so it wasn't there either. You may have seen them
    in the old gallery?

Take Care

20. treestoart

treestoart Guest

Hi Lizzie,
    I'm referring to Micromodels, a British company that went out of business in the 1970's? If that is where you get the term "micro" then I guess a micro-model would fit all of the parts on a 3-1/2" X 5" card, or smaller,but I personally think your model qualifies! 'tis beautimus.
    yup, the old gallery maybe, my memory aren't what it used to be.