I like cheap

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Relic, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Relic

Relic Member

I do like cheap and free is the best kind. Ifound that if you take plywood, paneling or an old door and leave it out in the weather till the layers come apart you got some scale wood
  2. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

I was into my local Homer Depot store the other day and I saw a lot of veneer strips laying in the garbage. They were eight feet long and each strip was anywhere from 4 to 6 inches wide. They used them to seperate and space the high priced walnut and birch panels for shipping. Wa-Hoo I said this is perfect scratch building material. I asked two stock clowns, in the building material department, as to how I could get it out of the store. "Yup, gotta write you out a ticket", " How's about fiftly cents apiece"? I said I'd give him fifty cents for the stack just for his effort to write out the ticket. He would not budge. I asked to speak to a manager and he reluctently paged one. The manager came out and I explained that I am a model railroader and this scrap is perfect dimensional material. He said no problem, go to register two and I will can and tell her not to charge you. I've already supplied two friends with my bouty and have much more to spare. Guess it pays to scrounge.
  3. ausien

ausien Active Member

Hey Bill,
    I`m with you when it come to being cheap, I dont no what your local road works is like, but here down under they use differant coloured natural sands, road base, ect, I stop my car and collect a bag full go home put it through a sieve and I have gound cover for deserts, gravel for what ever, and rocks for river beds. and as you say free is better than cheap...steve
  4. Relic

Relic Member

yea cheap

when they built the four lane highway they had a spot where they set the office trailers and the area was covered in nice fine crushed gravel I get a 5 gallon bucker and sift it, out of that 5 gal I get about a pound of ballast, some boulders and assorted other grades. Once you put diluted glue on it it is even the right colour.Onlly my track is new every thing else is homemade or swapmeet stuff
  5. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Cool :thumb: Some of my best work is made from scrap signage scored at dept. stores.
  6. b28_82

b28_82 Member

Love the Analogy! hehe
    :thumb: :thumb:
  7. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Shaygetz, how do you score the signage from the stores?
  8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Places like WalMart and Roses have an employee who specializes in making sure all signage is current. When they change over coloring or design, that usually leaves bundles of the old stuff in the signage bins ready to be rotated out No matter how hard they try, there's always a bunch left over for the asking somewhere. Just ask a dept. manager or even the store manager themselves. Tell 'em what it's for and they'll usually give you all you can carry :thumb: Check out cosmetics, their sheet goods are usually plain white. They have clear as well. It's used as shelf liner and dividers.
  9. Jodam

Jodam Member

The only scenery material i've bought so far is wire & hemp rope for making trees + a variety of colours of cheap spray paint.

My neighbour is an avid woodworker, so i have a never ending supply of sawdust/shavings, which i have coloured/stained with anything i had on hand we currenty have about 20 colours seived into 4 sizes.

Realistic paving material can be obtained with a bit of grovelling at a stone mason or tilers workshop the slop that's left after the diamond cutter does it's job looks great. And of course different materials give different coloured powder, what i have is around 460 grit as in wet/dry sanding paper
    a little course for N scale but i'll live with it ..
    Cheers, Damien.
  10. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

I have several square feet of just such material I found & peeled off a dresser that was sitting out for the trash man. I have used some of it several time & have been carring the rest around thru several moves over the years. Wouldn't part with it for the world!
  11. TrainGuyRom

TrainGuyRom Member

I have heard that if you go somewhere and see some peple redoing roofs, if you ask for a few scraps of roof shingles they would probobly give you some. I have heard that that material is great roads. I asked once when I only had a few minutes if I could have some, they said "you can come around at x-time" I declined the offer. i had somthing going on when they said I could pick it up.
  12. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Hey it's way cool to recycle. Better for everyone. At one time I used to use old unpasted wallpaper to draw on .. could pick up 100' for like $0.50.. Didn't care about the pattern as the back was what I was using.. I like the signage idea though. You can also go to upholstery places and get scrap foam. You have to die it but you can grind it up in an old food processor to make Ground Foam (Grass/Trees)..

article on making Ground Foam.
  13. Dave Harris

Dave Harris Member

Besides the shingles themselves, the felt/tar paper underlayment is great as well.