I learned something about printing today

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by BARX2, Feb 12, 2008.

1. BARX2

BARX2 Member

OK, this is probably old news for a lot of you, but I was really happy to learn this. I wasn't very happy with some of the PDF printouts I was making with my Epson CX3810 and I thought it just wasn't a very good printer. I looked at the advanced Adobe setting and saw that the default setting was, I think, 72 dpi. I set it to 150 and the print was a lot better. I tried 300 and it was better still. I finally tried 600 dpi and there was little improvement over 300 dpi, although the size of the print job was huge, so probably not worth sending that much data over the network for an insignificant improvement in print quality. Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. If you're not happy with the quality of the prints you're getting from your PDF files, you might bump up the dpi (dots per inch) setting and see if things look better.
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

True. But sometimes it is not worth it to crank up the settings if the pdf was created from .jpgs. If the jpgs have a lot of compression in them your going to get artifacting in the image which when printed to high resolution, will show on the final prints. When you don't print such documents to high resolution you lose the artifacting and depending on your printer, get a cleaner print.
  3. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I know what you mean. The PDF's I printed were for Leo Cherkashyn's ROCKOT and the higher resolution came out looking beautiful.