I know you guys are getting tired of CSX questions, but I have another. Please help!

Martin23

Apr 15, 2002
Glendale, KY
Visit site
I know you guys are tired of hearing about CSX, but I have a question I hope someone can help me with. I am wanting to makeup a CSX MOW train. Athearn has all the cars I need in CSX's MOW orange EXCEPT an engine and ballast hoppers. I can do my own, no problem, but what paint should I use for the MOW orange? Floquil doesn't make any that I know of. Help please? Thanks!

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Floquil Orange

Martin,

I never tire of questions that I know nothing about!:) CSX.... "I no narthink!" as Sgt Shultz used to say.

I have not had a problem (yet) with floquil providing a perfect match for what I need. (even the Zinc Chomate Primer matches for VR Wagon Red) of the Victorian Railways.

Floquil make a "Reefer Orange" that matches also what I needed perfectly. Is this the orange you want?

Have you got a pic of the orange you need?

This orange:
abmh.jpg

Floquil Reefer Orange was used on this. A perfect match for factory built, and my own built stock:

Attachments

• b80gullyzoom.jpg
    b80gullyzoom.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 135

Martin23

Apr 15, 2002
Glendale, KY
Visit site
Do you think it's close?

Woodie,

That picture you have of the CSX engine is exactly what I was looking for! Do you think the reefer orange would match that? Thanks for the help!:D

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Martin,

I don't know if the Reefer Orange will match. It's very difficult to tell from photos on the net (as you can see by the ones I posted).

The locos etc in the pics I posted ARE the same colour, but on the net it looks slightly different. It's just the lighting. That's all.

At a guess, I would say yes. It will match. There are some pretty basic colours that match railway colours worldwide. Floquil Reefer Orange is one of them, and used worldwide for emergency/maint equipment. Floquil Dark Blue and Railbox Yellow are also very common worldwide. ( see the new CSX scheme as discussed in other threads).

If in doubt, take a piece of rolingstock you already have to the hobby store, and compare it directly with the bottle. Floquil paints are in clear glass, and the colour of the bottle matches pretty well with what it is when dry. This is how I've matched colours. Another alternative is to take a photo of the prototype with you, however, as you can see, photo's can vary a bit.

I think Reefer Orange will be fine.

BTW. I find Floquil paints the best, especially when using a brush. Goes on thin, and dries out without brush stokes. A quick spray of Testors Dullcoate then finishes the job nicely. Use Decalfix to fix the decals properly, before the Dullcoate of course.

Good luck, and let us know how you go. :cool:

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Martin, I took a look at the lines of Accupaint, Modelflex, Floquil and Scalecoat paints, and was surprised not to find a MOW orange. I've seen Amtrak ballast cars in orange that look similar to the photo Woodie posted. All the above lines make a reefer orange, most also have: CN orange, IC orange, WP orange, DRGW orange, GN orange, NP orange, Milw. orange, SP orange, NH orange and SAL orange. Pollyscale also had a utility orange. Perhaps someone at the CSX historical society can advise which would be a close match.

Gary

Martin23

Apr 15, 2002
Glendale, KY
Visit site
CSX MOW paint

Thank you Woodie and Gary! I appreciate your input! I'll try matching up reefer orange and some of the other ones with my Athearn stuff at my local hobby shop.

Billk, the only railroad I know of that paints it's MOW engines differently is CSX. I have never heard of or seen pictures of any other road doing so. :)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Martin:
How closely do you want the orange to match? If you have a slight mismatch, you can hide it a bit with weathering (remember, the MOW stuff isn't like a crack passenger train) or explain that the painting was done different times or different places. You could even paint the new cars in several different oranges. (that one was from Chessie; that's from SCL; the tanker was from Conrail and the old baggage was from the Georgia.)

A good story will cover anything.

I've used colours called Traction Orange and International Orange (but then, I don't model CSX>)

Martin23

Apr 15, 2002
Glendale, KY
Visit site
Checked out my Walthers catalog

Hey guys!

I checked out my Walthers catalog last night, and Microscale makes CSX MOW decals for engines and cabooses. I also saw about two or three oranges I think might work. I can use the caboose decals to do the hoppers, and then just get some generic reporting marks for the detail decals. Roundhouse makes and undecorated ballast hopper. Thanks for the help from all you guys!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Re: CSX MOW paint

Originally posted by Martin23
Billk, the only railroad I know of that paints it's MOW engines differently is CSX. I have never heard of or seen pictures of any other road doing so.

Amtrak also painted their MOW engines orange. Very similar to the CSX orange, as a matter of fact. Nowadays, everything at Amtrak is in the red (Har!)