I have Train Question

Elite Lancer

Nov 9, 2005
Hey everyone, after being busy for a while I'm back.

Anyways, my question is why is it that loading stations for supplies are always like this:

train1.jpg

Isn't it a hastle to load the cars in this manner if there is a large amount? I mean wouldn't it be easier this way:

train2.jpg

Please give me your feedback. :)

L

lester perry

train1.jpg

If you are speaking of a coal mine it is easy. In the old days, before unit trains the track was on an incline. The track to the left in your illustration would higher than on the right. The rail road company would back the empties past the mine and set the car brakes. The locomotive would then leave. The mine company would release the car brakes to carefully let the empties roll down hill so they could fill them from a chute. The track on each side of the mine are the same length so the cars stay off the main track keeping it clear. When all cars are loaded the locomotive returns with more empties and swaps the loads & empties. Takes the loads to a classification yard to be sent to where ever it goes.

With a unit train (Modern) they just keep locomotive hooked up and pull the train through bulk loading (Drop from above) the cars as they are pulled through. The unit train goes directly to receiving customer

train2.jpg

This is probably used in some cases on modern mines.

Elite Lancer

Nov 9, 2005
Cool. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought it was because it required more rail building or something and they didn't want to waste money back then. :thumb: