I have tons of 3d modeling experience in software...

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Behnt, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Behnt

Behnt New Member

I have tons of 3d modeling experience in software so making the models and then making patterns in Rhino is no problem but adding the graphics and stuff???
    Please dont just tell me to use photoshop or something I need step by step hand holding tutorials here, is there a tutorial on how the paint and insignia get put on the models. I litterally need somone to assume I have a flat pattern, now what? color in Rhino, does rhino unroll a texture or a bitmap how should I apply the bitmap to the model make it a texture or use it as a decal?
    Do I need to add the graphics after its flat? If so how do you get such good jobs done out there? what is a technique for maing rivet patterns in a wing or a fuselage...

I have read alot of the posts here but mose seem too vague to me. Thanks for your time in helping me

2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

1. Make model in Rhino from flat sheet structures, or developable tubes and conics.

2. Unroll developable surfaces, open out flat structures usung rotate, ortho snap etc.

3. Arrange unfolded parts on the construction plane.

4. Change view to one looking directly onto the construction plane, select the unfolded items and export selection as an .ai (Adobe Illustator) file.

5. Import the ai file into Coreldraw. Clean up lines by removing isolines, duplicated lines etc. Join nodes to make closed curves.

6. Colour to suit!

Note, I don't go anywhere near a mesh, and I don't go anywhere near a bitmap! But that is because I am a bit cranky about meshes and bitmaps.

Seriously, I know I am lucky to have access to Rhino, it is an expensive (but fabulous!!) addition for a hobby designer to purchase, and there are lots of other ways of doing this work. Wings3D is an excellent , and free, mesh modeller for example, and there are loads of similar paint programs, both vector and bitmap.

To make effective use of any of these programs, there is no substitute for practice, making lots of mistakes, learning from them and going at it again. However, if the forum members can help, they will; one of the glories of this place.

Have a look through the forums to see what is already there (Leif did a fantastic walk-through of a recolouring job of a Swedish Storch aircraft recently, which will answer lots of appropriate stuff for bitmap painting, for example) But also prepare for a deluge of replies from the others!

I'll put a more elaborate tutorial based on the sequence above, but there are many other approaches. Ultimately, what works for you is the right one to use.

I've got to go to work now, but speak soon,

Tim P
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

You can project most of the panel lines and decoration onto the developable surfaces before selecting everything on the surface and unfold or develop it. This way positioning of major detail items is accomplished before it's thrown over the transom into a paint package. Some prefer vector based while others prefer pixel based. The best seems to be vector based as it preserves geometry over different scales and anti-alias problems are non-existent. Biggest issue generally is transfering files that have been cleaned of problems into the preferred paint package. Would be nice if Tim would slather us all with a good dose of his tutorial tutelage. Me, I'm just too fouled up in the middle of my own design at the moment to do anything but. Could be if a few items get flattened out nicely.

4. Maharg

Maharg Member

Hi Behnt
    have a look at the Renderisity.com Rhino Forum there is a stack of info on using UV Mappe and Flamingo to create maps for Rhino models.