I have officially gone crazy and it's YOUR FAULT, Gearz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowdenja

ekuth,

Are you going to hang them from your ceiling? Good looking build by the way!:grin:

That would be nice at night both lit up...................BSG tag line playing in the background.............

Here's another link on LEDs........... this guy did a couple of neat things(9 volt LED light was what caught my attention) and them wrote this instructable for LED Dummies like me................ It's pretty simple but it helped me understand a little better.

http://www.instructables.com/id/E9NFEFO2ZGEV2Z9QKZ/?ALLSTEPS

Maybe it'll give you some ideas on how to light that monster!

john

Willja67

150-170 pages! I'll certify you right now Ekuth:cry: I have been a silent observer to the Galactica thread but have to say I'm extremely impressed with the textures. It makes your project possible in that it still looks good blown up. Looking forward to more.

Gearz

WOW.. ekuth ~ Outstanding bit of work (for a crazy guy!) very crisp looking build on both versions. How is she for strength? did you use any extra bracing /panel stiffeners etc? This is going to be one impressive project ~ Certainly hope you get to finish it before the lads in the white coats take you away!

btb... Re your scale up method! ~ Clever! +++++

btbb... As long as this thread is for crazy ideas.. imagine what our hobby would be like if we could invent glowing paper!!!! Yeeeaahhhh!!

:razz:

E

ekuth

Thanks for all the info on LED's, guys. With that knowledge, I think I'll stick with them.

I may be ummmm slightly off on the page count. I just printed pages 6 through 10 of the original file and it came out at 40 pages even... LOL. Just a warning for anyone who wants to follow in my footsteps!

Here's an example of how I split the page into pieces: You can see where I've divided the Part 17 into sections and added letters to the glue tabs for reassembly reference. Each section goes on one 8.5 x 11 sheet. The lower piece part 18 had to be split just at the middle line on the bottom section as shown.

View attachment 5713

I'm working on the rest of the midsection today, I'll post progress pics later. Stay tuned!

@willja67:

Gearz put together a fantastic model and the textures are outrageous. I can only imagine how sharp it would look if I was using a laserjet instead of inkjet.

@Gearz:

Thus far all the internal bracing on the original has been sufficient for strength, believe it or not! Just goes to show how well designed your model is. I have been clearcoating the pages before assembly, so that might be adding a little extra stiffness, but not much.

Thanks for your compliment on my scaling method! It's tedious, but it does get the job done.

Glowing paper... hmmmm.... Well, I can tell you I'm planning on cutting out the gridwork on the engines and backing it with onionskin paper from the inside. A cluster of blue LED's behind each should provide a really nice effect. While I'm thinking of it, do you have the engine grid piece without the center glow (just solid mesh?)

Attachments

• 17 assembly pic.JPG
    17 assembly pic.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 263

Gearz

Yep .. here's the engine parts without the glow, also added a two additional work 'exhaust' panels that may or may not be of use. I've separated the parts a little so it'll be easier to cut copy paste etc.

Engine parts for SUPER SIZE Galactica

Also while I'm at it, this week my monitor has decided it wanted to operate with the brightness & contrast set to the fully ON position. Apart from needing sunglasses and zinc cream to work, Its highlighted some major ugliness on the stand textures. ~ I've corrected it ( I hope) and updated the main zip file. To save DL the model again, heres a corrected version of the stand.

GALACTICA STAND ( parts page 19 gamma corrected)

sorry bout that8)

murphyaa

Designer
Have you figured out what scale that beastie is? While I'm reworking the Viper, maybe I can do a small version to match it.

E

ekuth

Thanks Gearz! You da' man!

Murph, I haven't got a clue... 200% larger than whatever scale Gearz original is... I'm not sure he ever said. Gearz?

Dnlgtr

Here is an idea for the engine light effect. I saw this in FineScale with the Voyager build.
It is called "Light Sheet". The Article said it is how Paramount did the Warp Engines in the models for the series.
Only problem, I don't know where to get it.

E

ekuth

Light sheet, huh? Interesting.

Okay, a few shots of one of the landing bay arms, with lights!!!!

Keep in mind, this is before touch up work, so the end looks rough and the bay cap is still dry fitted.

To light the bay interior, I cut slots in the roof of the bay about .25 inch wide and placed a double layer of cellophane tape over the openings to diffuse the light. Two blue LED's centered over the back half provide the illumination. I covered the LED assembly with a layer of aluminum foil to both increase the brightness and stop light leakage.

Landing bay, lit (on approach to land!!!):

View attachment 5725

Landing bay, unlit (you can see what a difference the LED's make!):

View attachment 5726

Shot in the dark:

View attachment 5727

From the side:

View attachment 5728

With our original for size comparison. The bay is bigger than the whole ship!

View attachment 5729

Attachments

• PC310026.JPG
    PC310026.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 339
  • PC310027.JPG
    PC310027.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 320
  • PC310028.JPG
    PC310028.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 320
  • PC310029.JPG
    PC310029.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 321
  • PC310031.JPG
    PC310031.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 321
E

ekuth

A little more detail on where I put the openings in the roof of the bay:

View attachment 5730

You can see where I cut out the sections. I then put a double layer of cello tape over the OUTSIDE of the part before gluing.

Attachments

• EXAMPLE.JPG
    EXAMPLE.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 323

Gearz

Noooo.. I'm not going to say it.............nope................ NO WAY ...... mmmmm ..eeeeerrr....welllll......

I'll just look at your pix again.............. wooooooo...

OHHH NOOooo..... I am going to say it~

CRIKEY !!!

great.... now I'll have to go and shower with my clothes on..

Excellent work ekuth!

Re Scale ~ that's a very good question [gets out pencil and paper and scratches head]. I haven't built it myself, and we didn't start out that well organised. Doc Harvey or SJS have probably mentioned it? how long is your basic version ekuth?

There seems to be some debate as to the Galactica's cannon dimensions, from what I can tell 1,265 meters is the generally accepted length.
:roll:

sjsquirrel

Glowing paper

Gearz said:
btbb... As long as this thread is for crazy ideas.. imagine what our hobby would be like if we could invent glowing paper!!!! Yeeeaahhhh!!

:razz:

@ Gearz - My son has lot's of it - those glow in the dark star stickers you can stick on your ceiling. I believe I've even seen glow in the dark spray paint in a catalogue somewhere (might even have been while I was awake :wink: ).

@ Ekuth - This looks great Ekuth. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I've been wanting to do a model with lighting myself so I'll be following your efforts with interest.

TTFN

panzer

I know that there was a kind of "glowing paper". It was developed for model railroad buildings by the German company "Noch" (www.noch.de) and the American "Woodland Scenics" (www.woodlandscenics.com). The name in Germany was "Neonfolie". It was driven by a model railroad transformator and an additional voltage converter. Unfortunately, I saw it about three or four years ago, but Noch and Woodland don't offer this on their homepages any longer.

There were some ready-made products like illuminated outdoor advertising for e. g. hotels or shops, but I also remember some blank sheets for individual designing.

Stev0

This is crazy! :D

The only issue I have with your build is now that you have enlarged the design the texturing which compensated for greebling that was next to impossible to recreate in paper seems awkward. Perhaps you should consider modeling some of the more prominent greebling that doesnt seem to translate well in 2D from the smaller scale.

Power to you for lighting this baby up. :D

murphyaa

Designer
I took some rough measurements off of the picture (the wall plug), and calculated the model to be about 48 inches (was I close?) then playing with some numbers (had to take my shoes off), I came to a scale for your model of around 1:1037(give or take). The viper comes to around 1:40. Sooooooooo, a scale viper would be about .75 inches [-------]. Hopefully somebody who actually knows math will let us know if I'm even close to being right.

sjsquirrel

murphyaa said:
I took some rough measurements off of the picture (the wall plug), and calculated the model to be about 48 inches (was I close?) then playing with some numbers (had to take my shoes off), I came to a scale for your model of around 1:1037(give or take). The viper comes to around 1:40. Sooooooooo, a scale viper would be about .75 inches [-------]. Hopefully somebody who actually knows math will let us know if I'm even close to being right.

So that would make Gearz TeenyViper model exactly the right size. Now, all we have to do is have everyone monitoring this thread build a Teeny viper and send it to Ekuth. Then we can work out a simple launch tube and launch mechanism and have the big Galactica launching little Vipers all over his house. That would nicely complete his transition to insanity and begin the process for any other household members :twisted:

Ekuth, if you want a fleet of little vipers I'll make you some :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.