I have had a track melt down. Why?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by interurban, Nov 13, 2005.

1. interurban

interurban Active Member

I wondered if this has happened to anyone else the pictures tell the story.

I worked down stairs today , and that is when I noticed it, there are no tell tale marks as to why this happened the rail shows no heat marks from outside interference :eek:

The track has had no permanet power to it only today I wired it up and ran a train that let me know the track was slightly out of gauge.

Any ideas? :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :D

Attached Files:

2. nachoman

nachoman Guest

odd. any heat source at all nearby - furnace vent, etc? Or chemical melting - acetone or paint thinner will do that.

3. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Boy, is that ever weird, Chris. Please let us know if you figure out what happened.
  4. interurban

interurban Active Member

That went through my mind too Kevin.
    Steve I figured it out 5 minuets after I posted it :rolleyes:
    Wise crafter got it in one over at 2guyz.

:D I`ll tell ya all later unless some one wins the prize :D
  5. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I would think that if the track oveheated because of a short, it would melt the ties a lot different. I agree, this looks like a chemical burn like acetone or laquer thinner. Direct heat would have to be very close and very hot to do this.

Any change of sabatoge or someone playing a prank on you?
  6. Marxed

Marxed Member

how old is the track... and how long did it take to melt?

if you sat a lamp or spotlight next to it... the heat from that would do it...

given the melt i can almost visualize the location of the source if it was heat related... soo i wouldnt be suprized if it was a lamp or lighting device... or maybe it was near a hot water pipe... winter is coming around and it's the season for heaters to be turned on
  7. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

I did that back in my teens, needed light for something I was doing, thought it was handy that the rails would keep the light bulb from rolling! Never considered how hot bulbs get. Wound up with a more serious problem as it was a turnout that melted, 1/2 of it behind a tunnel portal.

8. interurban

interurban Active Member

CavlrZ and Gary, hit the nail on the head

I remembered after posting this that I had a trouble lamp with me last week and put it down on the track.

So I owe you both a pint.
    Next time you are in Toronto...... :D :D :D
  9. interurban

interurban Active Member

All that flew through my mind Don.
    Then I realised i was the Stupid )(*&()*&(* that had done it.
    So I gave myself a slap. :D
  10. Marxed

Marxed Member

i havn't been in toronto since about 8 years?? i did the skydome tour while they were setting up for a rolling stones concert and went up the CN Tower... i might have to stop again for that pint :D

btw, this is my 200th post :D :D :D
  11. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Rather unique---and short-lived, no doubt---weathering technique ;)
  12. Marxed

Marxed Member

if anyone is planning a willy wonka or hersey's chocolate rail-road layout, you got your technique, it does look like melting slabs of of chocolate
  13. train1

train1 Member

I thought it was some new type of curve super-elevating technique.........,
  14. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I was thinking the same thing... "Note to self - Don't make ties out of chocolate... Mmmmmm, chocolate..." ;) :D

15. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Had a pet dragon once, used to get indigestion a lot, had to go with asbestos ties to prevent that kind of thing. He ate a politician once, all that hot air, along with his fire,......'bout burned down half the town, had to get rid of him. Shame though, after that I had to install an auto pilot in the furnace, and buy a lighter for the grill. :D :D
  16. interurban

interurban Active Member

Did you give that dragon my address??????? :rolleyes: :D
  17. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Have you heard the flapping of leather wings??? :D :D :D