I have had a track melt down. Why?

interurban

I wondered if this has happened to anyone else the pictures tell the story.

I worked down stairs today , and that is when I noticed it, there are no tell tale marks as to why this happened the rail shows no heat marks from outside interference :eek:

The track has had no permanet power to it only today I wired it up and ran a train that let me know the track was slightly out of gauge.

Any ideas? :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :D

Attachments

• P1010078.jpg
    P1010078.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 12
  • P1010082.jpg
    P1010082.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 13
  • P1010083.jpg
    P1010083.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 12
  • P1010084.jpg
    P1010084.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 13
  • P1010089.jpg
    P1010089.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 15
N

nachoman

odd. any heat source at all nearby - furnace vent, etc? Or chemical melting - acetone or paint thinner will do that.

kevin

interurban

nachoman said:
odd. any heat source at all nearby - furnace vent, etc? Or chemical melting - acetone or paint thinner will do that.

kevin

That went through my mind too Kevin.
Steve I figured it out 5 minuets after I posted it :rolleyes:
Wise crafter got it in one over at 2guyz.

:D I`ll tell ya all later unless some one wins the prize :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
I would think that if the track oveheated because of a short, it would melt the ties a lot different. I agree, this looks like a chemical burn like acetone or laquer thinner. Direct heat would have to be very close and very hot to do this.

Any change of sabatoge or someone playing a prank on you?

Marxed

how old is the track... and how long did it take to melt?

if you sat a lamp or spotlight next to it... the heat from that would do it...

given the melt i can almost visualize the location of the source if it was heat related... soo i wouldnt be suprized if it was a lamp or lighting device... or maybe it was near a hot water pipe... winter is coming around and it's the season for heaters to be turned on

Gary Pfeil

I did that back in my teens, needed light for something I was doing, thought it was handy that the rails would keep the light bulb from rolling! Never considered how hot bulbs get. Wound up with a more serious problem as it was a turnout that melted, 1/2 of it behind a tunnel portal.

Gary

interurban

CavlrZ and Gary, hit the nail on the head

I remembered after posting this that I had a trouble lamp with me last week and put it down on the track.

So I owe you both a pint.
Next time you are in Toronto...... :D :D :D

interurban

ezdays said:
I would think that if the track oveheated because of a short, it would melt the ties a lot different. I agree, this looks like a chemical burn like acetone or laquer thinner. Direct heat would have to be very close and very hot to do this.

Any change of sabatoge or someone playing a prank on you?

All that flew through my mind Don.
Then I realised i was the Stupid )(*&()*&(* that had done it.
So I gave myself a slap. :D

Marxed

interurban said:
CavlrZ and Gary, hit the nail on the head

I remembered after posting this that I had a trouble lamp with me last week and put it down on the track.

So I owe you both a pint.
Next time you are in Toronto...... :D :D :D

i havn't been in toronto since about 8 years?? i did the skydome tour while they were setting up for a rolling stones concert and went up the CN Tower... i might have to stop again for that pint :D

btw, this is my 200th post :D :D :D

shaygetz

interurban said:

Rather unique---and short-lived, no doubt---weathering technique ;)

Marxed

if anyone is planning a willy wonka or hersey's chocolate rail-road layout, you got your technique, it does look like melting slabs of of chocolate

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Cavlrz...

I was thinking the same thing... "Note to self - Don't make ties out of chocolate... Mmmmmm, chocolate..." ;) :D

Andrew

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Had a pet dragon once, used to get indigestion a lot, had to go with asbestos ties to prevent that kind of thing. He ate a politician once, all that hot air, along with his fire,......'bout burned down half the town, had to get rid of him. Shame though, after that I had to install an auto pilot in the furnace, and buy a lighter for the grill. :D :D

interurban

sumpter250 said:
Had a pet dragon once, used to get indigestion a lot, had to go with asbestos ties to prevent that kind of thing. He ate a politician once, all that hot air, along with his fire,......'bout burned down half the town, had to get rid of him. Shame though, after that I had to install an auto pilot in the furnace, and buy a lighter for the grill. :D :D

Did you give that dragon my address??????? :rolleyes: :D