I have a question

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
jmarksbery said:
It seems now I have to hit the refresh button a lot anymore. Why are the pictures coming up in the wrong places? They didn't use to. :wave:

Well - Only because I just re-did the Links page for faces etc.. There is a cache in everyones computer, It's a folder (Usually in Internet temporary files).. It holds pictures and info about everywhere you go on the net.

If, there is a revamp of a web site & they re-arrainge things (Like Pics) your computer will be tricked.

1. You click on a link on the net
2. Your computer begins downloading the page
3. It searches the temp folder for any stored graphics from last time you visited that page
4. If there are graphics present it loads those graphics (old pics) instead of the "Newer pics"
5. it completes the page load

How do you solve it temporaily?? by clicking "Refresh"

now - your going to ask -- How do I stop it?!?!?!?

Go to your Browser & click on "Tools" at the top.... Then click on "Internet Options"

If it's not there - look all along the list - "Options will be there somewhere"

Go to "Settings" Look for "Check for newer versions of stored pages" or something like that

you will see a few selections. Click the one that reads "Always" or "Each time I visit"

Make sure to hit "OK" at the bottom & you'll be fine from then on. :)

Any problems - e-mail me & I'll try to help you :)

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
OK you know-it-alls (as far as I'm concerned, you do), the questioning continues. I see this "refresh" all the time, but I have never seen a button or anything that says "refresh". I may be ignernt, but not totally shtoopin. I have a smart mouth, tho. Anyway, where is this refresh thingy located?

Lynn

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
yellowlynn said:
OK you know-it-alls (as far as I'm concerned, you do), the questioning continues. I see this "refresh" all the time, but I have never seen a button or anything that says "refresh". I may be ignernt, but not totally shtoopin. I have a smart mouth, tho. Anyway, where is this refresh thingy located?

Lynn
Ok - that's a difficult one, only because every version of windows is different. :(

Attached is a screen capture of win XP. from left to right you have:

Back.......... forward........Stop Loading........Refresh..... and Home

Every browser has some type of "Home Button" the refresh is usually to the left of "Home"

Attachments

• Refresh.jpg
    Refresh.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 74
F

Fred_M

Or the trusty F5 button up on the top of your keyboard. That's the universal one. FRED

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
I think I got it. Evidently I didn't know where to look, or what to look for. It must be those green thingys chasing their tails.

Another. When posting a picture, I see, and know the "browser" , but other times the browser subject comes up and I can't see any such animal. Great Scot, I sure don't know much.

Thanks for the help, fellas.

Lynn

F

Fred_M

Pitchwife said:
In the Windows IE browser if you right click on the tool bar you can customize it, adding or subtracting buttons and the order they appear in.
That's true. F5 always works in any windows ported browsers. The new IE symbol of two green arrows trying to eat each other is amusing but criptic to new users. But on most machines it says it's refresh with mouse over. You can also customize you browser under the VIEW tab at the top. Just another door. :thumb: FRED

F

Fred_M

yellowlynn said:
All righty. The green arrow doo-hicky is the refresher. Then is clicking on "view" the browser?

Lynn
No, the Internet Explorer is the "browser". The whole program. Clicking "view" and tinkering allows you to customize the looks of the browser (or screw it up). Netscape is also a browser made by a different company, AOL and Walmart internet also have their own browser. So browser is to car as Internet Exporer is to Chevy, a browser is a thing and Internet Explorer is a brand. Thankfully all the brands work and look about the same. Netscape calls refresh "reload" and favorites "bookmarks". Netscape is a ford, so just like in cars people argue about which is best. Reading this is called browsing; not to be confused with grazing which is cows eating. :D FRED