I have a challenge for you

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Hello all. I have a challenge for you. The first picture is the upper level of the N scale layout I would like to build, and the second is the lower level. Transition is via two helixes on either end of the benchwork.
There are a number of features that I really like about this layout. First, you will notice that it is an interchange for lots of traffic. The east-west line is a UP mainline that runs from Salt Lake City via Boise ID and continues west to Portland and the Pacific coastal region. The north-south line is my own EPN&S, a subsidiary of the BNSF, running from Spokane WA and points north, south to Reno NV.
The second feature is the recycling plant. Recyclable materials are brought in from both north and south, dropped off in the yard, where it will be sorted, moved to the plant by the local switcher where it will be processed into a large number of usable products, loaded, picked up and taken back to the yard where it is once again classified, set out, picked up and taken either east or west to customers by the UP.
There are some local businesses that are serviced along with businesses both north and south. This is also an east-west Amtrak route so there is connecting passenger service to and from the north and south. As well, there is a "Gambler's Special" that runs from Spokane to Reno each Friday, returning Sunday night.
With trains set up in the lower staging prior to operations and the configuration that allows continuous running it promises to be an interesting layout to work.
The downside is that it is a complex layout to build. There are a lot of tracks and not a lot of scenicing, which I would like to have.

Bench%20901_Upper.jpg

Bench%20901_lower.jpg

The challenge is to come up with an N scale track plan with only a single level (multiple elevations are a plus) that will fit into the bench outline in figure three. Continuous running is a requirement plus some switching. Water features are also good along with some nice senicing opportunities.
The era is the mid to late 80's or early 90's. Location is a small town to rural to wilderness Pacific northwest setting in either the foothills or mountains. I'd like to avoid mines and logging operations. I know that these are popular switching industries, but for me they are a little too popular. I would like some sort of switching industry or plant that is a bit unusual.
The 32" sections on either end are to accommodate 15" radius turns. They can either be under a mountain or in the open. At A there will of course need to be a bridge or other connecting platform. I'll leave that option open.
Those are about the only requirements that I have. Any plans, ideas, suggestions you have will be appreciated. I have attempted several different ideas, but an afraid that I have developed tunnel vision and am unable to come up with anything that diverges significantly from the original plan.

Bench%20Outline.jpg

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Clark, is that the only table arrangment you can use? If not, what are the room dimensions?
I don't know if I can help, but I will try, at least with the mainline.

Loren

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
To my knowledge there isn't a lot of industry in the Pacific Northwest outside of the big cities. The industries are mostly logging, mining, and agriculture. You might do a produce warehouse loading apples, cherries, and pears. I think most of the produce goes by truck, but you could use mechanical reefers. Eastern Oregon has some grain being grown I think, so grain elevators and covered hoppers might be believable. There are a lot of beef cattle grown in the Northwest, but I don't know if they have any packing houses up there or if the cattle are hauled to big city slaughter houses. I don't know if they have feed lots for fattening cattle, or if the cattle are hauled elsewhere for fattening.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
grewsome said:
Clark, is that the only table arrangment you can use? If not, what are the room dimensions?
I don't know if I can help, but I will try, at least with the mainline.

Loren
That is the entire room. It's a open on the right side with a wall running vertical about three feet from the edge of the table. That side is a hallway so it has to be left open. The outline is the most efficient benchwork that I can come up with while maintaining accessibility.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
Russ Bellinis said:
To my knowledge there isn't a lot of industry in the Pacific Northwest outside of the big cities. The industries are mostly logging, mining, and agriculture. You might do a produce warehouse loading apples, cherries, and pears. I think most of the produce goes by truck, but you could use mechanical reefers. Eastern Oregon has some grain being grown I think, so grain elevators and covered hoppers might be believable. There are a lot of beef cattle grown in the Northwest, but I don't know if they have any packing houses up there or if the cattle are hauled to big city slaughter houses. I don't know if they have feed lots for fattening cattle, or if the cattle are hauled elsewhere for fattening.
A produce transfer would work. There is quite a bit of fruit grown in this region. There isn't a lot of grain grown here. That's more in the plains around the Columbia river. The same with cattle. This is mostly free range cattle country through the Forrest Service, no big feed lots. This is a fantasy layout though, so it's pretty much anything goes as long as it requires a rail stop. I've been trying to come up with something unique, but like I said, I've kind of developed tunnel vision.