I. Hate. Paper.

Discussion in 'Off Topic - Card Modeler Lounge' started by the micromodels builder, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the micromodels builder

the micromodels builder Card Model Designer

Had a perfectly fine card/paper model setting on the dresser. What happens? My dumbass mom decides to rearrange everything, and a block of clay falls over on the damn model, and leaves a huge stain on it. :curse:

I need a new hobby, FAST. Prefereably one with plastic, metal, and hardwood.
  2. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

What model was it? Lot's of free designs on our downloads section. Might pay to protect your hard work with an acrylic box or display case. Forgive Mom...she knew not what she did:) (though I suppose you enlightened her)
  3. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

Cmon, kid! Paper models are transient at best. Most of us have to clean off our shelves about once a year as it is. I use clear plastic cake and fruit boxes to protect anything I don't want messed up.
  4. the micromodels builder

Was a prototype model for a CD horn I'd been working on for a while.

Good idea. I'll have to search for a box like that sometime. You're right about my mom, I guess.

@ Lepercan: Transient? Hmm, perhaps you're right.

Another good idea for a display case.
  5. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

It's important to keep those things that can harm paper away from paper. Paper has no defense mechanism against items that would seek to do it harm. So you must protect what is important...

Works also for Crystal, CD's, DVD's, Car Stereo, Bicycle, Laptop, Beer Mugs.. :)
  6. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

Get a new Mom. Or get your own apartment...and a cat. There are some "hair" raising stories about felines and paper models!
  7. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

Could try painting the model - Acrylics work well

8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Or spray it with some clearcoat... I find a matt finish works well to protect them. Go lightly though, or the ink can run! :thumb:
  9. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I might add hanging models makes sense, because they're paper and would survive a fall.

If that isn't an option, go with what Ekuth said. And be very light with the spray when spraying sealant. I mean *VERY* light. Just barely dust it the first time around and let that set for a couple hours, then dust again. Repeat several times for a cast-iron seal on the inks.
  10. scudbusted

scudbusted loopy lurker

OH YEAH! Definately about the cats! I have .....well my wife has a collection too, and they're it...OI! (ROFL) I often toss the cats my alpha/beta builds, and parts I messed up from free models, and older free models, that have been on the shelf awhile, and I get boared with. It helps make them feel they're a part of what I'm doing, and sharing in the loop! That way, they get bored with paper toys, and so far, have left all my 'GOOD BUILDS' alone. ;)

AX'E (Eric:)
  11. RocketmanTan

RocketmanTan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree, paper models are Transient. I have a whole bin of paper models. Now, the Law of superposition states that the older rock (models) are deposited at the bottom but gets newer as you reach the top. My housekeeper is always throwing out my models, and to make things easy for her, she grabs a handful from the top :rolleyes:
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Active Member

Could always donate them to the local library for a display instead - its gets people interested in the hobby!
  13. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

......or take them to the children's ward at a hospital,
  14. rbeach84

rbeach84 New to Paper

What kind of clear coat?

I just tried Testors Glosscote, which is a 'lacquer', and this caused the inks to 'run'. Someone else has mentioned Krylon Clear Coat - is that an acrylic perhaps?
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Active Member

yes its an acrylic seal and it works really well :)
  16. reklein

reklein Member

Forget it, the original post was a year ago.
  17. MapleLeaf

MapleLeaf Member

Life lessons

Too bad about the model.

Your reaction makes think about the time I spoiled one of my father's favorite records (you know, the old vinyl ones) and his reaction:eek:. I felt pretty bad. I was pretty little at the time but that was not the end of it. I spent the rest of my youth breaking this that or the other thing. Then there was the incident with his car ...:car1: Not that I was some kind of klutz, but that is just the way things go. Kids break parents "stuff". If you never did, well give it time, you will eventually. I respectfully suggest that you consider what really counts in this life. Hint: it is not "stuff" - no matter how precious.

Happy modeling.
  18. the micromodels builder

Attached Files:

19. corypoole

corypoole New Member

I actually build my models out of the Thickest possible cardstock. It makes folding difficult (must use exacto knife to cut partially through) but it doesn't really matter if something small falls on it... I'm a teacher and bring them to school. 100's of people handle them and they survive.
  20. reklein

reklein Member

Well,looks likee this thread has taken a different tack. On the subject of paper I have to brag about my score. I was able to get about 25 pounds of 110 lb paper from a sale at a college bookstore. It was in clear packages and labeled Manga Paper. Anyways te whole lot cost about thirty bucks so I'm probably set forlife.(I'm an Old guy) Bill
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.