I had an opportunity...

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
...to "play" around with a camera that we have at work. I was trying to figure out some of its features and got really interested in the macro lense function. I guess I got a little carried away because I started taking pictures of things in my office... :)

Anyway, I moved most of my structures from the soon-to-be-late Copper Ridge Railway to the office so I wouldn't have to worry about them surviving the packing and moving we'll be doing soon. Below are some pictures I took of them.

Here are some of the buildings from town:

Attachments

• town.jpg
    town.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 121

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
A close-up of William's Country Store... Note the lint at the base of the sign. I didn't even know it was there until I downloaded the photos from the camera!

Incidentally, these images are about half the area of the original photos and are slightly compressed, so some of the detail got lost (the lint was VERY pronounced on the original image).

Attachments

• store.jpg
    store.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 122

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Rory, looks like it's a good camera, better take it home with you :D

Shamus

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Hey, Shamus! Yeah, it's a Sony Mavica CD250. I bit too pricey for me right now, but a nice camera nonetheless. It does take INCREDIBLY detailed pictures. The folks who are responsible for communicating with space leasing companies use it to take photos of the properties that we rent. It's a good tool for getting landlords to fix things up--and it shows ALL the problems! :)

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
And finally...not really directly railroad-related, but I think its a cool model. This is the British H. M. Airship R-100. It was one of two built during the 1920s as part of a plan to connect the provinces of the British Empire by air. R-101 crashed and burned due to design problems. R-100 was dismantled shortly afterward. This is a paper kit that is a free download from www.currell.net.

This model is about 11 inches long. The real R-100 was about 709 feet long!

Attachments

• r-100.jpg
    r-100.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 102

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Note the lint at the base of the sign. I didn't even know it was there until I downloaded the photos from the camera!

Rory,
Clear, sharp, closeup shots of your work can do one of two things.
1: Make you realize you're in the wrong hobby.
2: Show you where and how to improve your work.
The "camera never lies", but it never gets personal either. It simply shows exactly what is there, and doesn't care about inflating, or deflating ego.
I consider the "critique of the camera", a valuable tool to help me improve.
You've got some good looking work there, and you've already picked up on some things you hadn't noticed before. You're on the right track to letting the camera be your unbiased friend.

By the way,, if you take the camera home, make sure it looks like someone broke in to your office :D :D :D :D :D :D ;) ;) ;)
Pete

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Uteram,

I think it was Charlie who taught me how to do the mortar lines. Basically, it's just diluted light-gray paint that I let seep through the cracks. After it dried, I gently wiped the surface with a paper towl.

Chris,

That's the Erie Station by Pola. It's sold by Model Power. It's definitely one of my favorites! They also sell a smaller station in the same style called Malden Station. Here are some links:

http://www.discounttrainsonline.com...it-Erie-Combination-Station/item490-1501.html
http://www.discounttrainsonline.com...-Painted-Kit-Malden-Station/item490-1524.html