I got it.... WORM_BADTRANS.B

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
How embarassment!
I apoligise to those that know me, and have communicated with me by email. I got this virus this arvo, and WOOOOOSH... of it went. Every email addy (addy book, inbox, even browser chache) and it installs a trojan too.
My virus checker did not pick it up, even after updating it. Trend-Micro (PC-Cillin) did not release a fix for it till this evening (sydney time).
have a look at http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/ for more info. I know some of you have received an email from me containing it.

I got about 200 emails back saying "unknown user", but be stuffed if I know where the addys came form. Probably in cached HTML somewhere. I got about 5 back to say the mailserver rejected the email because it had a virus. So everyone..... get going with your virus checkers!!!
Bob Collins was lucky, and his email/ISP picked it up for him. Others may not be so lucky.

It's taken me 5 hours to clean it off, manually, cause as soon as you try to update your virus checker, (via the web) BOOOOMMMM off goes the trojan sending all sorts of goodies.

Samething

Woodie:

I had the same virus a few months ago. What a pain! I downloaded my anti-virus programs update and it was still gone. One of my computer friends told me to reformat the hard drive to make sure it was gone. It took me 2 days to get everything back running! It's always a good idea to up date your anti-virus progam!

Andy

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I should point out that this is the "B" version of the virus, and only been around for a day or so. Some virus checkers will pick it up, but not all. 4 friends I know of have got it today. (not via me). It took the absolute latest download of my virus checker to pick it up. The "B" version check was not implemented until about 12 hours ago. I use Trend-Micro PC-cillin.