I get paid to do it!

lepton

Nov 13, 2006
Thought some on the forum might get a smirk out of this.

In one of my projects, we often get the requirement for some coils of specific physical dimensions. Often we have these machined up externally (at great expense), but this time I needed a couple of them right now.

My colleagues were impressed with the advanced composite material I used to build these up (I called it a cellulose filled cyanoacrylate resin :grin: ).

lepton

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
Ho Ho! My old man used to make models of transition ducting on supersonic intakes for design assessments while he worked on Concorde, and son of Concorde. Always extremely useful, his models often helping to solve things, explain, help designers visualise what was going on.

'Wow, Al, great models! What did you make them from?'

'Cornflake packets.....'

He then started dropping the phrase 'VVLT Modelling' into conversations, and after a while the phrase started cropping up in reports, presentations etc, everyone nodding sagely. He let it run for a few months until one foolish student asked what it actually stood for.

'Very Very Low Technology'......

I must dig out a pic of his last job on Concorde, incidentally the last modification done to the BA craft before they went out of service, a pressure relief valve in the cockpit floor which was needed when they beefed up the door as an anti-hijacking measure.

That one was inspired by my parents cat flap in their kitchen door.....

Tim

sakrison

Banned
Jul 5, 2006
wunwinglow said:
'Very Very Low Technology'......
I love it! I can hardly wait to drop that one on my next project meeting:
"Uh, guys, let's see if we can't go VVLT on this application."

Once a bureaucrat, always a bureaucrat at heart :twisted: ,
--David

S

shrike

When I was working on my airplane project years ago (1:1 scale - Corben Super Ace) all of the forums and such were full of fibreglas projects and the latest slick machines.

I learned that the phrase "Mono-directional linear composite of cellulose fibres in a lignin matrix" was much more impressive than "wood"