I found The Coolest Track Program ever!!!

I downloaded the XtrckCad program and began playing around with it.
I found it to be the easiest program to use almost simpler than RTS.
PLUS YOU CAN RUN TRAINS ON IT.
The Downloadable version does have its drawbacks just because it is the least intense version. But you can download updates and such things.
The downloaded version when it starts only lets you have 50 peices of track plus cars. But once you download there IS NO STOPPING THE RAILROAD TYCOON IN YOU!!

Anybody have any thoughts about this program or another you think is better???

Eric

Good hope you like it. Give some feed back if yu get the chance.
I would like to know how it works for other people.
Eric

jkristia

Well, I can't comment on this latest version, but unless they have improved the usability of the program A LOT, and it doesn't look like if from the screenshots, then I would say that that program is not worth the money.

Last time I looked at it was 3 years ago, and back then I ended up buying 3rd PlanIt, it's $100, but has a lot of features, including 3D 'running train' feature which I never used.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
I downloaded the trial version of 3D Planit but it seemed to have a pretty steep learning curve. So far I have been using Right Track and while it doesn't have the cool graphics and there are a few tricks that they don't tell you about it has served me pretty well. "Sides, you can buy a fair amount of stuff with that $65 to $100. :thumb:

jon-monon

XtrckCAD is a good program. I've had the Windows and Linux version for years. Never loaded the windows version, but the Linux version is limited to 4 X 8, unless you register it (i.e. pay for it). I have it on my Linux laptop and play around with it once in a while, when stranded away from home. I found it was difficult to learn, then after I ran the tutorial, I found it very easy to use. So if you use it, I suggest you run the tuorial first. I would probably use it over RTS if not for the 4 X 8 limitation. Tyson, since you are planning mini/modules soon, it might be perfect. Prob. great for modular MRRers. It's more like a real CAD program.

I even set up a section in our yahoo group to post xtrack plans:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/The-gauge/files/Track Plans/xtrack/

I never heard of it, could you post a link to it?

Then you haven't been listening! LOL Don't feel bad, Ty, no one else listens to me either! :D :D :D

My software philosophy: Software is like sex; if you have to pay for it, you're doing something wrong :D :D :D

Eric - when you get some plans drawn out, won't you post them in our group, or e-mail them to me so I can? Paaaalease? :D :D :D Same goes for RTS users, love to have any plans anyone is willing to share. Either uploaded or just e-mail to me :)

Tyson Rayles

:eek:ops: Jon sorry if I missed it before. After checking it out, I'll pass. Too steep a learning curve for this dumb ol' redneck :D :D :D . Actually I think I'll stick with Trainz. No you can't do it to scale, but it gives you a pretty good idea what something would look like and everything I've ever drawn to scale ended up being extremely modified by the time it was built anyway :eek: :eek: :eek: .