I find myself needing help once again:

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
The more I look for information, the more I find. But I also find myself getting deeper into a fog.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

The information that I need is realy simple, or so I thought...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

I am trying to model a log loader suitible for the 1948 - 1964 time period, also how the logs were bought to the loader... I only have about 36"x6" strip to build the trees, camp, loader, and anything else that I may need to make my logging opperation, I have the ground/forest floor and track layed and a lumber mill and storage shed in place and 2 short sidings for my 10 log cars, 3X40' and 9X20' untill I find a suitible loco for my logging line, I will be using a SW9 switcher (I know that this is not the right loco to use but I get to put another engine on the layout) which meens another friend can join in the fun...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

any help in this direction is eagly awaited thank guy n gals for any help you may give.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
.....have a good one..steve
wave.gif
wave.gif
wave.gif

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
I don,t know where your modeling but around here (north Nova Scotia )horses were used to bring logs out of the woods then piled by men with pv,s into brows. Either horse drawn wagons or trucks would take them fromthere. The trucks here until the 60,s had "side loaders" a crude and dangerous way of loading and unloading logs. Pulpwood on the other hand was almost all loaded and unloaded by hand. Hope this is of some help

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Thanks guys for your responces, Russ, I did think about posting in the logging line fotum, but thought that like me most people came to the general talk first, I may put a post there, thanks...

Relic, that is the kind of information I am looking for and more, I thought they used horses and dragging gear, but werent sure it do help me a lot, and thanks but I think I still need more infro. Any pix that anyone may have of logging camps, loaders ect,ect,ect... would be appreciated...steve

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Thanks guys, I now have the saw bed and motive power, but still need the information on how they loaded the log cars from the felling area.....the donkey engine is hars to get in "N" scale, so I am taking a little modelers licence and useing a HO. so its a bigger operation, and the lumber is tuffer.... hehehehe......hope you guys and gals will keep the infro coming...steve

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
Ausien I can help ya gitcher logs to the landing (roadside) but arround here in that timeframe they took the mill to the logs.As far as yarding logs with horses goes all you need is a couple of horses Harnesed some chain and some "lumberjacks". You don't even need a driver ..a good horse would take a snig to the landing and go back for another , all he needed was somebody to hook and unhook

Have fun