I finally found a good use for kdee magnets

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Nomad, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Those little plastic boxes of nails for holding down track and such. The ones you hit with your elbow and spill all over your layout 5 minutes after opening. Put a magnet underneath the box. The nails won't fall out.:D
  2. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

That is a great idea because i've done that 19 times ...
  3. berraf

berraf Member

Pain is the father of many inventions :D
  4. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Cool idea, I like it :)
  5. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Thanks all, just something I did by accident. Thought it might be useful to everyone.
  6. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Most great discoveries are brought on by accidents.
  7. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

How true.:)
  8. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

Just wanted to let you know .. i knocked over a box of nails on my layout .. then i remembered your thread!! :) i now have one of those magnetic rocks you get at museums and such under each of my nail bins and have since knocked each over w/ no spills!!

9. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

Wow! Thats a fantastic idea! great tip! Thanks!
  10. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

I am glad it,s working for everybody. I have gotten a lot of help here, so it is nice to give back.

11. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

I know the feeling. Again, great idea :)
  12. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Just a few days ago spilled my track spikes all over the place. :curse: You bet that I'll use your trick for avoiding this in the future. Thanks for sharing, Loren!

BTW: For getting the spilled spikes back together (e.g. along a freshly laid stretch of track) I use one of these door-latching magnets. They are small and work very well for this. Just move them along the track, 'flying very low', and the little nails jump up and cling to the magnet.

PS: Now if somebody would invent a 'magnet' to put below the paint thinner bottle to keep it from spilling... :rolleyes::D
  13. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Railron try this. Get some of that velcro tape that is sticky on one side. Put on piece on the bottom of the bottle and the other piece on a flat surface like a table where you work or a small piece of 2x4 or such.

Another idea is to use a spade bit or wood bit that is as wide as your paint jar and drill a hole into a piece of 2x4 about an inch or even 1/2 inch deep and place the paint bottle in that. :)

I hope that helps :)
  14. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Good ideas, Stephen - thank you! :thumb:

In fact, I also had/have another method to keep a bottle upright: by forming a thick worm out of plasticine and wrapping/pressing it around the base of the bottle. This works fine, too.

The snag? When I was in a hurry, of course I simply forgot to apply the plasticine - and guess, what happened? :oops::oops::oops: YEAH! Splosh....:curse: